+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Glen Fly

Default Para Glen Fly

I am very curious about this fly so I just finish up tying a dozen of them. I am going to use them on the clinch river this weekend to see how they will do. They were a lot easier to tie up than I thought they would be. It is a great looking fly. Thanks Al and Beatty for the idea. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Hi John,

We look forward to your report. They have certainly served us well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al & Gretchen Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

will let you know how they do after this weekend. John

Al,

I like the pattern but I have one question about it. What knot do you use to tie it to a tippet? From the way the fly is built it appears to me that a clinch knot (or any other knot tight to the eye of the hook) would force the hook eye down towards the water, lifting the body out of the surface film.

Am I completely off with this?

Regards,

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I've never had the problem you describe probably for two reasons. First I tie the furled body long enough to compensate for the weight of the leader/tippet. Second I almost always have a bead-head, dropper nymph under this fly; its weight also helps keep the body in the water.

Alberto, you have a keen eye. Good question! Thanks for asking. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Bass man I think you will be pleased.

A question for AL:

Has this patern ever been published in a magazine, probably 7 or more years ago?

I don't remember which one it was, but I know I picked it up from some flyfishing or tying magazine when I was younger. I love it for small sulfers and pale evening duns. The trout gobble it everywhere I've tried it.

Hi flyrodde,

Yes, it was published several years ago. Don't ask where or when because I don't remember but it was when I still lived in Montana - maybe ten years ago. It's a fun pattern that has served us both well and is fairly easy to tie.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Ok I went to the Clinch River today. I caught 11 Browns. 8 of them on a Pale Yellow Bodied Para Glen and 3 more on a Chartreuse Bodied Para Glen. They all hit pretty hard. It was fun to use this fly. I will be tying it in some other colors to see how they will do. This amounted to a pretty good day. John

Bassman, you went to the clinch and caught 11 trout on a DRY fly? I bow down to you, you have serious mojo.

Only thing I've ever been able to make work up there was a zebra midge. And yesterday (the first day my wife ever asked me to take her fishing), the zebra midge didn't work.

Maybe I've done it wrong, but I've never had a dry work up there on anything other than the lil' dinks right below the wier.

It was the best day I have ever had on the clinch. I was fishing about a mile or so below the Wier, I would let my fly drift down below some trees and they would jump it. I have never had a day like that. Mostly 8-10 inch trout but it was a lot of fun. Like you I usually only use the Midges. I was amazed my self. No Mojo at all just a lot of good luck. John

+ Reply to Thread