+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neoprene stocking foot hip boots????

Default Neoprene stocking foot hip boots????

Think that I would like to get a pair of stocking foot neoprene hip boots. That way I can wear my studded wading shoes. I am not as sure footed as I used to be.
    Does anybody know who makes them or where I can find a pair? I have seen several makes of boot foot but no stocking foot.
    Any help?
    Thanks,
    Dick xfishcop

This is as close as I've seen: http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... hasJS=true

It has the neoprene foot so the fit with your wading shoes should be the same. And since they are only hip high I don't know that the difference in leg material will be a big issue. For $35 you can't go too wrong.

Good Luck

xfishcop,
    This doesn't answer your question, but I've had one pair of neoprene hippers and numerous pairs of breathable stocking foot hippers over the years and I would highly recommend getting the breathable ones. John Geirach once wrote (and I paraphrase) that neoprene waders were the greatest practical joke ever played on fishermen. You can always wear several layers under the breathable ones and they are much more comfortable, even in cold weather. No, change that to ESPECIALLY in cold weather.
    Joe

Default Another choice.....

Xfc,
    Another choice to consider, may mean the difference between getting wet and staying dry in case you mis-step or slip.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... hasJS=true
    C/R.......barbless
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

I'm with BH on this. With hip boots the material that they are made of makes little difference. I wear hip boots alot, when ever I can get away with it.
    Perspiration from the legs is not an issue. While I've never tried neoprene hippers, when I wear my neoprenes it's to geep warm, so full lenght waders is welcome.
    I like my bootfoot canvas hippers for the convenience of a quick slip-on and go.
    They're plenty cool in the summer especially when a bit of water ships over the top.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for all of your help. Think that I will try the Cabelas hippers. I think that most times in the streams that I fish chest waders are an over kill. Like I don't need to look like I just stepped out of some flyfishing catalog.
    Thanks again.
    Dick xfishcop

Dear xfishcop,

Maybe you can find something to suit your needs from these folks? They seem to offer the best prices and while I have not personally done business with them I know several people who have and all have been satisfied with their shopping experience.

http://www.kodiakoutback.com/SearchResu ... egoryID=61

One thing to add, if you want studded felt soles 16 hex head sheet metal screws and a cordless screw driver will easily convert any of the felt soled models to studded. To me at least, the benefit of hip boots is that they are self contained with boot feet.

I'm lazy and figure if I'm going to do all the work I have to do to put on gravel guards and wading shoes I may as well go all in and put on the chest waders. YMMV

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

You may want to try these on before you buy! I'm familiar with these, and the fitting "problems". Bought some and tried to get them on, it was a no-go! When I called Cabela's and requested a different pair, the guy wanted to know what was wrong with the ones I'd just bought. I said they didn't fit over my jeans. He wanted to know if they fit without the jeans. Now, I'm not really style conscious, but hippers without jeans would be a blatent style foo-paw, and mighty cold!! I cancelled my order and sent them back! Orvis ones fit better, even though they cost more, they don't make me sweat like a stuck pig, and they fit OVER my jeans!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have Dan Bailey chest waders in stocking foot and Dan Bailey hippers in stocking foot. I thought most reputable wader manufacturers made hippers as well as chest high.

The Dan Bailey hippers are very, very light and comfortable.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I know one guy who uses the Hodgeman hippers. He's pretty rough on them and gets 4-5 years out of them. Not bad for $50. I'd say $10 a year for waders is easy to handle.

+ Reply to Thread