+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettin' "whipped" by the "finisher"

Default Gettin' "whipped" by the "finisher"

I'm having trouble with a whip finisher. A friend of mine is left handed and its very hard to pick it up because I'm right handed. Watche da few videos can't really tell what they are doing. I'm good for 2-3 wraps but my line gets tight and can't really "pop" it off the back. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Hi,

Since I've never been able to get the tool to work, I learned to whip finish with my fingers. So I guess my suggestion would be to learn how to do it "by hand" first. If you later learn how the tool works, you can then decide which works better for you.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Checkout Al Campbell flytying series on the main page (FAOL Home Page). Here is a link on how to use a Matarelli style whip finisher. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ers/part5.html

Welcome aboard!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

MC - Hate to only offer another video, but this one is the clearest one I've seen.

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/jbwhip/

The local TU chapter even showed it at their beginner fly tying class. If this doesn't help, just throw a couple of half hitches on, apply head cement, and hope for the best. Lots of folks swear by half hitches: at the very least, it would hold you over until someone could work with you in person until you got the whip finish down pat......Ed

Since I cannot see what you are doing, all I can do is offer a suggestion. In teaching tying classes and the student complains about the thread getting shorter and tighter it is usually because they are not allowing thread to come off the spool as they are making their whip finishes. When you lift the whip finisher to remove the thread from the bottom notch, you have to allow thread to come off the spool to give yourself more slack.

I do not know if this is the problem, but, I had to throw it out there.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Here is a step-by-step link (only the Thompson isn't up yet but the Thompson I think can be found right here on FAOL):

[url=http://warmwaterflyfisher.com/tyingtechniques/Whip_Finish.htm:531f4]Whip Finishes[/url:531f4]

Thompson Whip Finish
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... part6.html
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

get together with your friend and have him demonstrate the whipfinisher again, but this time IN FRONT OF A MIRROR.

I use this technique for my left-handed guitar students. I even used it on a Joe Humphreys video so I could see him cast as a right-hander.

Try it...It Works!

Best,
    Dave

I too learned how to whip finish without a tool, but seeking to improve my tying technique (and fill up the tool caddy on my tying desk) I bought a Thompson style whip finisher -- it works practically the same way as what I did with my hands, only it allows me to get in tighter and use less thread.

Well, then a friend told me that the Materelli style with the flexible arms would get me in even closer on spun hair flies... but don't you know it, the Materelli works by whipping in the opposite direction.

The Thompson spins "over" the fly and the Materelly spins "under" the fly. Anyone else ever come across this, or did I just buy one "right handed" whip finisher and one "left handed" whip finisher?
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Warren P and Black Gnat are to be congratulated. I am left handed and have to deal with the backwards of the world all the time--these two tips should held you with the whip finisher--i prefer the Matarelli to the Thompson

+ Reply to Thread