Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quote of The Week

Default Quote of The Week

I am very upset and greatly offended by your quote of the week.

------------------
    Steve V.

Umm...

Speaking as a non-religious person, I'm not offended. I just think it's funny that anybody would honestly believe that if you don't have religion you don't have morals. People can say anything they want. That doesn't make it true. Grow some thicker skin my friend.

Tom

Hey Steve;

When you think about it, with Atheism, we are all a bunch of animals running around at various positions on the evolutionary ladder and in the food chain. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thus, animal rights are as important as human rights, if not more, as we are just another animal on this big blue marble.

Don't take things so personally. I am positive it was not meant as a dig to or for anyone.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Some need the fear of eternal damnation to treat others with respect. Religion is using fear to get others to comply.

For the benefit of those who have not read it, here it is (so you don't have to go off looking for it)-

"Atheism has no room for human rights."
    ~ Unknown

I'm not particularly offended by the quote of the week, but I am surprised that it was chosen. I know that JC and LF are people with strong moral convictions, and I'm sure their faith plays an integral role in guiding those convictions. However, I feel a broad and controversial generalization about any theological belief is- in the context of this website- in poor taste. The "Sound Off" portion of this bulletin board has a rule of "NO WAR, POLITICS, RELIGION, OR FLAMING!" I didn't expect the front page of FAOL to have different rules.

This isn't a rally for the quote or the management of FAOL to be changed. Just sharing my slightly puzzled two cents.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 13 June 2005).]

Okiebass,

That's a very good point. I was also surprised to see the quote on there. Almost every forum I visit on the internet avoids talking about religion in any way because it's a non-ending argument. This thread should probably be locked as it is getting into the discussion of religion.

Whatever happens, I realize I am a guest here, so if I don't agree with something in the content, I just ignore it. It's not like this site is littered with religious content anyway, so something as minor as the quote of the week really doesn't bother me. It certainly has been good to start some conversation though.

Cheers!

"Atheism has no room for human rights."
    ~ Unknown

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really? Huh.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I really don't think that the quote has anything to do with fly fishing so I thought it was a weird quote to appear on a fly fishing site. I wouldn't expect to see John Gierach or Dave Hughes quoted on an Atheist website.

I am not an atheist, but if I was I really don't think I would be offended by this. The person who said "Atheism has no room for human rights" was probably a victim or an opponent against some of the old or even current (thankfully few) fascist or communist regimes that were atheist in nature. These regimes were cults of personality and there was no room for religion other than the cultlike worship of the"Dear Leader" and human rights to boot. For many Atheism was synonymous with tyranny. I think that this was the context that the unknown individual was commenting. I really don't think he/she was commenting on your average garden variety atheist.

Hey Folks,

One of my personal favorites is "There
    are no athiests in fox holes." Don't know
    who to give credit for it but I've heard it
    all of my life.

LHBrian, my experiences with religion
    are somewhat different than yours. My God
    uses Love instead of Fear. Warm regards,
    Jim

I've read and re-read the quote. For some reason, I don't get it.

It just makes no real sense to me. Can someone explain it to me?

I am educated (some may debate that) and smart (some WILL debate that), so I should be able to understand it.

Ken

Closed Thread