+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for a grub pattern

Default looking for a grub pattern

Somewhere I saw a great grub fly and I can't seem to find it again. It was similar to the types of grubs that you find in your lawn. (the big orange headed ones) Anyone have a good pattern like that?

Try an egg succking leech, but with a white or cream body and orange head. Just a thought.

Check out the mealworm post. There's a picture there that looks like what you want, posted by "dsaavedra."

Here's the link:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/view ... 14&start=0

One of the best I've seen for grub worm flies.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

could this be what you are looking for??

http://www.morayflyfishing.co.uk/buzzers.php

look down page to Okey Dokey buzzers, there are a few to choose from

Go into the panfish archives for Ricks Favorite Bluegill flies. Look at the rat tail grub.

Rick

I don't recall who's pattern it was or even what it was called, but I know exactly the grubs you are talking about - they ate a hole in my yard a year ago. They were so ugly I wanted to dig every one of them up and smash them. But I digress. Here's the pattern:

Tie in some cream antron yarn to make a dubbing loop at the bend of the hook. Insert very few tan dubbing fibers, then twist and wrap up the body. You can build up a taper or underbody if you want. The original pattern used a peacock herl head to simulate a caddis, and when wet, you had to look close to tell the real from the fly. Use a head/leg of your choice to match what you want. The antron, when wet, gives a very nice transluscent effect.

Default Pattern for grubb

HarryC,

Friend calls this his "Roanoke River Grubb" pattern.

Hook: Size 10-12 emerger hook
    Thread: 6-0 yellow, orange or white
    Weight: .015 lead (if allowed) wire
    Body: White "Sili-Skin" (Google for info)
    Color: Marking pens to color body-yellow, red, green, brown & black

Wrap lead wire (I use about 15 wraps) bend to hook eye. Wrap thread over wire, bend to hook eye and back to bend. Cut small strip of "Sili-Skin" and tie in at bend with "sticky" side out. Wrap forward to hook eye overlapping the wraps for a good segemented look and tie off at hook eye. For color-use brown marking pen down the back and a little over on the sides. Next, use a green pen and go only down the back, a narrow strip, right over the brown color. Finish off by using a black pen (fine tip works better here)on the side front quarter to imitate legs. Just a couple of slight touches from the sides toward the belly area but short of meeting. Vary the coloration of the grubs according to your area or whatever you're trying ti imitate. Tried 'em and liked 'em. They work.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
    I was thinking about making the pattern using the yarn and a bead head to weigh it down. any thoughts?

A personal pattern I ot from who knows where...

Rubber band Grub:
    Hook: size 10,12,14 or whatever scud/caddis pupa
    Thread: cream or gold
    Weight: 0.15 lead or substitute (prefer the sub)
    Body: rubber band 1/8" or 1/16" wide in assorted colors
    Head: dubbing in assorted colors brushed out to be a bit bushy (personal fave is pink haretron)
    Instructions (destruct ions): tie in the weighted wire about middle of the hook shank and wrap towards the eye until about a quarter of the shank from the eye. tie in rubber band in close to where the bend of the hook ends and wrap towards the eye overlapping wraps slightly building a nicely tapered body, tie off leaving a bit of the weighted wire showing. At this point you want to coat the entire body with a light coat of hard head, it give it a sick wet nasty look that when finished will nearly make you puke. Allow to dry and make nice head with dubbing and finish.

I love this fly in the early spring for trout and it kills all summer long for gills and other panfish.
    Steve

a weighted bead-headed wooly worm (without the hackle) ?

+ Reply to Thread