+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking at Panguitch, Utah in June , anyone been there?

Default looking at Panguitch, Utah in June , anyone been there?

Hi a friend and I are thinking about driving up to Panguitch UT from Phx AZ in June and I was wondering if anyone has fished there recently. Any advice is greatly appreciated (Gramps especially your's since you don't take it.... lol!!) Thanks!!
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Check the UDWR web site. They have a forum there that is a very friendly place to hang out. In fact, it was the first fishing forum I ever really used. Here is the link:
    http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/index.php
    I'm sure you can find something good there. By the way, where are you planning to head in Panguitch? Also, I didn't think anyone that wasn't from the area even knew Panguitch existed!Good luck!
    Leave No Trace

I fished Panguitch a short while back - like 50 years ago so I can't be of much help - however
    a few years back we fished both Piute & Otter Creek Reservoirs which are a bit north of Panquitch and caught rainbows to 3 lbs.

Thanks Wild One..of all places, I was talking with a fellow in an ACE hardware near where I live about building a rack in garage for my FF gear and he mentioned Panguitch an said it was a jewel of a place to fish...hence the planning for a trip!. Thanks again for the link I'll visit it later tonight
    Don't have a place pick out to stay or go to yet..any suggestions are welcome
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Spent the night there about a month ago. Biggest dump of a motel I have ever spent in a long time. Wasn't real impressed with the town. My mind is tainted by the crappy motel and a real poor night of sleep. However, I did notice some nice creeks to the north of town.

Feburary is probably not the best time to judge anything.

So ignor this message. Now I can recommend where not to stay

Bill

Hares ear,
    I'd have to say that your overview of Panguitch is pretty spot on for the most part. Town=dump. You don't go to Panguitch for Panguitch. The surrounding areas, however, are some of the most beautiful in the country. You are very near to Bryce Canyon, which is a must see, but fishing there...never heard anything, so I wouldn't count on it.
    fishnski,The Sevier River, which is close to town and runs along Hwy 89, is supposed to be decent. It doesn't get a lot of recognition as it is compared to the Green, the Provo and other more popular rivers in the state. There are some pretty well known reservoirs in the area though too. Here is another good link for you though:
    http://www.utah.com/fish/flyfishing.htm
    IMO, Utah is over-looked when it comes to fishing. And So. UT even more so.It is just too close to CO, WY and MT to get the respect its waters deserve. I will say, that even if you don't catch fish, I bet you have an awesome trip. Post some pics when you get back!!
    Leave No Trace

Here's a good site to take a look at.
    http://www.utahfishfinder.com/fishing.shtml
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Panguitch was poisoned last spring. They replanted in the early summer with some nice fish. I haven't been fishing there since they finished. I have not fished the Seiver river I think there is alot of private land around it so sometimes access can be a problem. I think there are places around the lake you can stay even have cabins you can rent. Otter Creek or Fish Lake might be another option some nice fish there and they are not much further north.

A little farther up and there is Scofield. A lot of lakes in a close area.
    Scofield is awesome with multi rod permits added this year. You want some BIG Tiger Trout, that is the place.
    You end up heading more toward the City of Salt, give a shout.
    FG

I'd have to agree with both Fish Lake and Scofield. Although, I don't know about Fish Lake from a float tube. Pontoon would be fine, but that lake is FREEZING COLD all year long b/c it is so deep. BTW, Fish Lake National Forest IS the world's largest organism. Biologists have been able to trace all of the Aspen tree's roots and found that they are all connected. Don't ask me how they did that, but I learnt it in "Highke School."
    Also, Minersville Res. which is on the other side of I-15 and just west of the town of Beaver has its hot days too.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread