+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting with a crosswind

1. Default casting with a crosswind

what techniques do you use when a wind is blowing across from your casting arm to your other side basically blowing your line, and heavy fly, into your head? i've tried the crossarm thing but wonder if that's practical.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Re: casting with a crosswind

Quote Originally Posted by perfectloop
    what techniques do you use when a wind is blowing across from your casting arm to your other side basically blowing your line, and heavy fly, into your head?
    My favorite techique is to mash down the barb ... ... seriously.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Cast with the rod tip angled over your head.
    The stoke was decribed to me to be like brushing your hair
    When the wind is real high , say 20 knots plus, I'll cast backwards, but normally its not necessary, not very accurate, and looks silly
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

It would be a good idea to practice first on the lawn, with a piece of yarn with the cast Dudley mentioned, keeping the loops on both forward and backhand casts on the off hand side on a calm day, or position your self so the wind is blowing into your rod hnd side. It's kinda tricky and difficult to just try when the wind is howling with a hook on the other end.

And crushing the barbs would be a very good idea. Wear a hat too. Or a helmet.

peregrines

I find the "crossarm thing" very practical.

Fishing for steelhead with the wind blowing up the Deschutes made it a necessity a high percentage of the time....became very "natural" for me.

A busted right wrist forced me to learn how to cast lefty. You'd be suprised how quickly you can pick it up if you practice. I find that I am a much more versitile fisherman now that I can cast with both hands.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eponymous
    A busted right wrist forced me to learn how to cast lefty. You'd be suprised how quickly you can pick it up if you practice. I find that I am a much more versitile fisherman now that I can cast with both hands.
    i thought about doing that too. i may practice Monday at the park.

Learning to cast with both arms is not a disadvantage. It is definitely worth the effort to learn.
    Your hooks sharp????

Took a casting lesson once and we were having some "muscle memory" problems....the instructor had me cast left handed...problem gone...he said see your left side never learned those bad habits...interesting at the least....

0-5 mph wind-- I ignore it

5-10 mph wind-- I cast a little to the side of vertical and keep the forward cast low to the ground to reduce the wind it's exposed to

10-15 mph wind-- I bring the cast back with the rod 45-degrees from vertical (almost sidearm) and then the forward cast cocked 10-degrees over my head the other direction so the line passes me on the opposite side (circular motion)

15+ mph-- I fish somewhere else!

+ Reply to Thread