+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dette Dry Fly ?

Default Dette Dry Fly ?

Hello , Does anyone know approximately how much a dry fly tied by one of the Dette's is worth today ?

Thanks, Jim

Well if you stop by the shop and by a bunch from Marry Dette, I would say $2.25.

Andy B, You wish.

J:

No I don't wish. Just call Mary at her shop or go stop by and see if she has any flies for sale or place an order. Been there to many times. I also have a bunch of Mary's flies tied by her.

Andy B

Andy B., I am surprised. I figured that a fly tied by her would be more expensive. I suppose fame has never gotten to her. Good for her. Most would take advantage of such a thing.

Later, Jim

Jim Slattery Guest

Mary now sells her flies for, I think $2.55. They are more expensive than the bin flies which are tied by a select few tiers, myself included. Here Grandson, Joe Fox is another one of the tiers and definately has the Dette gene pool in him. He is becoming an excellent tier.
    Oh yeah, there is a 3 year waiting list for Mary's flies now.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim

Jim S., What I am really wondering is what Walt and Winnie's flies go for. Since Mary is still cranking her flies out they obviously will not be worth as much as her parents. Yes I know about the waiting list. I read the Dette's book by Leiser. Good book. Technically I think the waiting list is even longer than 3 years. Thanks for the info.

Later, Jim

Jim Slattery Guest

J,
    The value of a Walt or Winnie fly probably depends on when they tied it. The earlier flies being more valuable. Walt's flies go for around $100.00 each. Winnie's flies are less due to the fact that she tied a lot more flies than Walt. I would think an early example would go for about $75.00. Winnie tied beautiful flies. When I was a kid you were told that if you wanted great flies go to Dette's and buy what ever they had..even if you didn't need it or it wasn't the right time of year for the fly. If you wanted flies to fish or match the on going hatch with, try the Darbee's after you went to the Dette's. The school of thought was you might get lucky and the Dette's would have what you were looking for and if they did you probably couldn't persuade yourself to actually use them because they were so good. You would not use all of them or save them for big trout that you may come across. The Darbee flies more than likely were not tied by the Darbee's themselves as they had many tiers tying for them. If you did get some flies tied by the Darbee's again, you would have a hard time persuading yourself to actually fish them.

+ Reply to Thread