+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way of diposing of lead wrap?

Default What is the best way of diposing of lead wrap?

I have replaced all my lead wire with nonlead substitute. How do I properly dispose of the lead wire I have? With two young ones (3 and 1.5 years) I worry about the potential harm lead can be if they were to somehow get of hold of it when I am tying (I store the lead spools in a locked tool box in the garage).
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Normand Guest

Maybe a call to a lead abatement contractor in your area might have the answer.

Since lead wire is still available and still used for fly tying why not give it away to someone less environmentally conscious. I'm sure you'd have several takers on the "For Sale" board.

If you feel that is being hypocritical; most counties or local towns have some type of hazardous waste disposal program for stuff like old paint, lead, mercury, etc.

Check the blue pages of your local telephone book. Or call your local town administration office.

Hi Tyrone Fly,

The amount of lead wire you have is very minimal, probably. Lead is also very stable in the ground, and the hydroxides, etc., are pretty insoluble. In short it probably won't hurt to send it to the landfill.

There are also lots of metal salvage yards around. Any of those would probably take it from you.

Beyond that, if you advertise it on this board, ie: you will send it to whom ever wants it, if they pay the shipping, you will probably have a taker.

Regards,

Gandolf

Tyrone fly,

The three harmeful methods of lead are ingestion, digestion, and absorption. If you don't melt it, and the kids don't put it in their mouths and eat it, and if they should handle it, wash their hand well after touching it, there is no problem. I am a certified Risk Assessor and deal with this and poisoned children on a daily basis. I also have a stock pile of about 1500 lbs of lead in my basement. Treated properly, no problem.
    Steve

Isn't ingestion and digestion similar if not the same?

Slight difference. Digestion in this instance would be eating and ingestion would be linked with breathing or inhaling. I guess the important thing to know is it all ends up in the body.
    Steve

You can ingest something and if it's not digested if you watch carefully you can recover it

Quote Originally Posted by rookie
    I also have a stock pile of about 1500 lbs of lead in my basement.
    That must be fun to move!

It never gets moved my friend.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread