+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used an Okuma Reel??

Default Has anyone used an Okuma Reel??

As mentioned in my other post for a pike rod / reel, a local place recommended an Okuma Integrity Reel for my 'budget' pike setup. Does anyone have any thoughts on these reels? they are asking $89 for a 9#.

Default Okuma

I bought an Okuma helios large arbor reel from ebay and its my favorite reel now. I like the drag system and the smooth action. I paid 100 bucks for it but I believe it regularly cost upward of 150$. I suspect Okuma's other reels are pretty decent quality as well.

You probably saw my response in the other post

"I know the Okuma Helios reels are their attempt to market a higher quality reel....I like them...they can be had on ebay in the $100 range...[+ shipping] "

jeliask,

I have several Okuma Integrity reels that I use on my two handeed rods (size 10/11) Fishing for salmon and steelhead they have served me well. I have read about other folks who have had a problem with the drag but I have never had an ounce of trouble out of those reels.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have been using Integrities for about 7 years now and all I can say about the drag complaints is run it under hot water every once in awhile to break up the crud since it's not a sealed drag and the drag will work fine.I even soak mine in hot soapy water once every year,rinse and apply a little grease to the arbor bearing and ready to go for another year.

The finish is not as hard as some of the spendier
    reels so the reels will show wear within a couple of years but at the price I won't complain.
    I usually pick mine up on Ebay for under $50.00
    I want to try a Helios next.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

I have some of there lower end models(not sure the name, sierra maybe..?) but they are great for the money. I have yet to have a problem with them after 5 years of use. Okuma gets my thumbs up.

Okuma Sierra is all I've been using and they have been great. I don't go after the larger fish normally so a higher quality than the Sierra model is likely a good choice.

Sounds like a Thumbs Up for the Integrity
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I have been using the Okuma Large arbor reels now for several years. No problems with them, even though I don't take the best of care of them, like a person really should.

bill

I've had several. One on a 4wt.and on one an 8. The 8 was used in the salt too. Never had any performance issues though the finish did cip off easily. I repaired it with a paint stick. The drag is excellent. The reel is built by a company that specializes in making machining equipment and it shows in the design. Only down side is that its a little heavy. I'd say go for it, without significant qualifications.

jed

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments, looks like the TFO pro and Okuma will soon be pulling in some Pike ( I hope ).

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread