+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stonefly Patterns

Default Stonefly Patterns

Anybody have any suggestions for stonefly patterns for the east? I've looked at several on here and elsewhere but it seems like most are targeted for the western waters. I'm looking for both nymph and dry patterns.. emergers, if they're a viable fly. Thanks in advance!!!

Google Eastern Stone Fly patterns and I think you can find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps
    Steve

hazmat, As far as the larger eastern adult Stoneflies go. From what I understand the larger adults emerge and egg lay mostly at night. I have never seen the larger stones during the day in good numbers, only a straggler from time to time. It would not hurt to keep a few large dry imitaions in your box but I would focus more on the smaller stoneflies (nymphs and adults) and nymph imitations for the larger stones. But if you fish at night,well that could be a different story.

Later, Jim

Normand Guest

Thanks, all.. I believe I've found what I was looking for!

Jim Slattery Guest

Stimulator tied to match the adult stoneflies in your area. The stimulator is a east coast pattern. Born on the Musconetcong River in New Jersey.

Did you look at the Fly of the Week for this week?

Haz-

The first ones to come off in your area PA, NY, CT etc. will probably be Little Brown Stones probably sizes 14 and 20 and then Early Black Stones in 14, 16 and 20. (The browns will usually start popping around Mid March and the blacks thru April on the west branch of the delaware around Hancock. Shift timming back about 3 weeks for the Adirondacks, and maybe move it up 2 weeks for PA.

They usually come off in the mornings 9:00ish to 12:00ish. Look for the nymphs on rocks in arewas with slow moving water and gravel/cobble bottoms.
    The stonefly nymphs actually crawl out of the water on to the rocks (and sometimes your waders so check) and then "hatch" into the adults, rather than splitting out of their nymphal shucks into adults in the water. As far as I know, there are no emerger patterns for stoneflies.

Although more exact patterns can be found on FAOL for these, I fish an Elk Hair Caddis with DARK deer hair or dyed black elk hair wings and dark brown or black dubbing for the body and grizzly hackle (black would be better probably). I also tie up some without hackle using dyed deer hair with the "wing" tied less upright than a normal Elk Hair Caddis, with the hair kinda pushed down both sides of the shank to float it (for slow water). Seems to work for me, though I don't target that hatch specifically.

I also fish large weighted black stone nymphs up to size 10-6 in riffles (nothing fancy since you'll lose them on rocks, I use AK Best's "Big Ugly Stone Fly Nymph" as a pattern, found in AK Fly Box. These nymphs imitate the large stones that come off in evenings in June, around the time the Green Drakes start coming off. They have a several year life cycle, so are found in the stream in a lot of different sizes, all year long. I mostly fish them between mayfly hatches if there is nothing going on. The big ones (Acuneria and Pterynarsus I think) are mostly night time action (at dark thirty) for the adults on the water. Big Stimulators, size 6 or so work for this, as do some of the western patterns. Skitter them around on heavy leaders if you dare. Look for the adults in the daylight in grasses and underside of leaves. If you see them think about missing dinner and fishing in the dark till 10PM, because chances are good they'll be hitting the water. They move very large fish, and strikes are savage.

You may also run into Yellow Stones (Chloroperla), size 12 and 14 (sporadically in July Aug Sept around Hancock). A Yellow Stone nymph and a Yellow Stimulator for the dry should cover it. The adults start hitting the water in the afternoon.

Some green stonefly nymphs and green stimulators for the dries covers green stoneflies if you have them in your area.

Hope this helps.

peregrines

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher
    Did you look at the Fly of the Week for this week?
    Haven't yet, but I will now. Thanks, LF..

Peregrines.. wow.. thanks for the education! I've been reading Hughes' "Handbook of Hatches" which helps out a ton on this stuff for a relative new guy, but it's going to be pored over many times before the information actually settles in permanently.

I actually started tying caddis patterns exactly as you mentioned last night. Every place I've looked and read mentions the exact same thing, so why not? Besides, I really enjoy tying caddis patterns, for some reason. Thanks again for the info!

+ Reply to Thread