+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boo, slow, med., fast?

Default Boo, slow, med., fast?

I hope I don't open up a can of worms but here it goes. I was at a fly fishing show a couple of weeks ago. While at the show I was snooping around the bamboo rod builders just trying to learn a little more about bamboo fly rods. To make a long story short I noticed at two seperate dealers that pepole were looking for faster bamboo rods. One guy picked up a rod that was worth 1200 bucks and said " buggy whip, I don't like it!" When he left a picked up the rod and felt the action for myself and did not find the rod to be slow at all for being made of bamboo. I could be wrong but I thought that was what bamboo is all about slowing thing down a bit and relaxing while fishing. I bought an older South bend bamboo rod a few month ago and love the slower action of these bamboo rods.
    Now my question is are pepole looking for bamboo fly rods that cast like graphite?

First off ~~ you can't really tell the action of a rod just by wiggling it. You might be able to get a general idea of the action but not an exact picture.

Second ~~ not every rod is for everybody. The guy make think it is a "buggy whip" but someone else would think the rod is just right (probably me). I had a Sage TXL that I didn't like because I thought it was too fast ~~ and the TXL isn't even a "fast" rod.

Third ~~ buy the rod and send it to me and I will give you a thorough analysis in a couple of years when I have had a chance to fish the rod over a long period of time. Sometimes rods grow on you ~~ especially bamboo.

I agree with Rev. The gentleman has probably never fish bamboo and was just checking out what all the hoopla is. They are noodlie, and that is there beauty.

I was under the impression that the TXL was a pretty fast rod.

From my understanding the TXL is kind of in the middle of Sage's lineup. Maybe my understanding of "fast" has been conditioned by my love for "slow".

I really don't think boo's are necessarily as whimpy as everyone thinks. This is a plot of the lower and upper levels of work capacity of some of my rods. The rod work capacity is a function of the load applied to the fly line at a comfortable flex and the distance of the casting stroke. Units are ft-lb. But the methodology here is not as important as to where the two Orvis bamboo rods ranked. While one was lower than my Orvis 4 wt., the other was in between a normal 6 wt. and an Orvis "tip flex". This is not wimpy. I think bamboo rods only get the reputation of whimpy because they are most often made in light weights (2, 3, 4 etc.) This Orvis boo is no whimp. By the way "heavy bamboo" doesn't meen heavy in mass - it means heavy in work capacity.

Right on! I agree totally. I have 3 same size same weight boos, but they are slow to fast so to speak.
    This new little Tea Stick I got to me is a crisp rod (why I bought it).
    I think the line you choose can create anything you want.
    I just don't think some people realize what a boo is about.
    Just like the one ounce rods. The reel seat is cork with two bands. To me, classy looking and holds a reel better that most reel locks. You can't imagine how many people were turned off by that cork reel seat. Gotta understand where the weight come in.

Dear flyster,

For the most part people unaccustomed to bamboo expect graphite like feel without actually casting the rod.

Many people today say, "I'd love to find a nice, light, 7 foot 3 weight bamboo," and builders try to accomodate those folks.

I fish all day long with massive bamboo rods of 8 1/2 to 9 feet in length and in 5,6, and 7 weight. Some of them weigh almost 6 ounces and when combined with a reel they weigh upwards of 12 ounces, and most fly fisher's think using a rod like that is "heavy lifting."

Sixty years ago people fished the same streams and caught the same fish on those old clubs and they were glad to do it. Those rods work beautifully if you aren't so accustomed to graphite that you can't relax and let the rod to the work.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Dear flyster,

For the most part people unaccustomed to bamboo expect graphite like feel without actually casting the rod.

I fish all day long with massive bamboo rods of 8 1/2 to 9 feet in length and in 5,6, and 7 weight. Some of them weigh almost 6 ounces and when combined with a reel they weigh upwards of 12 ounces, and most fly fisher's think using a rod like that is "heavy lifting."
    Yup, I have a 9'0" 8wt Leonard I fish on occasion that USED to be my go-to salmon/steelhead rod.

I THINK Ron Kusse was one of the first rod makers to push the envelope so-to-speak in regards to fast bamboo rod actions. I can remember casting some of his tapers back in the 80's at Suffern and to say they were UNLIKE anything else out there at the time would be an understatement.

I will say that over the years I have cast many cane rods by SOME newer makers that I just didn't care for. I would call these the "fast and faster bunch" and believe me, it can be done quite well with bamboo.

While it isn't my cup of tea; it is a valid choice for those that want bamboo with a graphite feel like Avalon said. As for me; I personally think graphite does fast better. I want my cane to feel like the rods I'm accustomed to: Leonard, Orvis, Payne, & Thomas.

Fast bamboo to me is analogous to mixing my whiskey with water; If I had my choice, I'd rather drink beer.

I am not a bamboo worshiper, but to be fair, the bamboo rod between the two 6 weights in the graph above is only about 1/2 oz. heavier that the graphite rods on either side. My only point is that well made bamboo rods are functionally nearly competitive with graphite in weights 6 and below. I don't use a bamboo on the stream because I would feel less brokenhearted breaking a new graphite rod with a lifetime guarantee than I would a vintage Orvis boo. I use graphite almost exclusively. But as for me, bamboo is for touching, feeling, and dreaming. It's like waxed cotton, Cuban cigars, and single malt scotch. But go ahead and fish yours - I have broken rods on fish before so I'll pass. I am getting clumsy as I get older.

+ Reply to Thread