+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical atlantic salmon patterns.

Default Classical atlantic salmon patterns.

Lots of people like to mess around with classic patterns, but sometimes new ones are hard to find. I am going to be making shadowboxes for a gallery, and i will have 7 of them throught the gallerie. The artist/owner would like them to be the coler of the rainbow, if you would be kind enough to help me find some new patterns, i would be very thankful!

Thanks,

JZ

The fish or the prism in the sky?

The rainbow, like the one in the sky, I guess, that it would be one of every coler, but i am not good at finding somewhat simple salmon patterns that cost 150$ to make!

Thanks,
    JZ

I hate to ask - but - have you gone through the "Old Fly" and "Atlantic Tying" sections here on FAOL? And why not?

... no, i don't really look at anything else on this side besides the bullitin board and the fly of the week thing. Thanks for telling me!

JZ

JZ,

You sure are keeping busy! Are you cleaning your room and doing your homework too? lol

Not sure how fancy you want to get, but here's a site with at least 3 pages of photos of Hairwing salmon flies to look at to get some ideas:

http://www.wwdoak.com/salmonflies.htm

A lot of the flies have recipes and instructions for tying on FAOL and the ones that aren't on FAOL can be found by googling.

Or are you looking for traditional, married wing flies, that use a lot of expensive matterials, and are harder to tie like these?:

http://www.salmonflies.com/traditionals ... ionals.htm

If you really want to keep it simple, look at the FOAL hairwings and you'll see RAT flies. They come in a variety of colors by mostly changes in the floss used on the body and veil. For example there's a Green RAT, Blue RAT, Rusty RAT, Silver RAT, Black RAT etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

peregrines

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines
    You sure are keeping busy! Are you cleaning your room and doing your homework too? lol
    Lol, that's really funny, but no, i am either fishing or tying, and to your question, i am going to be doing maried wing, and i only have 170$(50$ pretty soon because i bought about 240$ worth of stuff from orvis(i love working for orvis!)) so i can't buy stuff like chatterer or actual junglecock, so no, i am not going to be making the REAL fancy stuff, but i will try to make them look as beautiful as possible. i will try to post some of them as soon as i am done with some of the nice ones.

Thanks,
    JZ

JZ,

The most amazing fly patterns I have ever seen are in Rare and Unusual Fly tying Materials Vol I and II. If you ever have a chance to look at those books jump on it. Unfortunately they are out of print and a set will run yu about $1000. You can get a bit of a taste at the publishers web site at www.rareandunusual.com. Also the Art of Angling Journal by the same publishers has amazing patterns. Again, I don't think that is published anymore. Someone on this site might know.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

JZ,

I just love full-dressed Atlantic Salmon flies. Whenever I want to feel really bad about myself or my fly tying skills, I sit down to tie up a few Green Highlanders. 8T

Fly Tyer magazine often features pictures and patterns for salmon flies.

Default Go to the FTF forum for Salmon flies...

Just start looking around here and ask alot of questions.

I post as Matt Inman over there. Lots of eye candy to look at:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... owforum=35

+ Reply to Thread