+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The "Schwacker"

Default The "Schwacker"

My "double" cousin and I had a brief email conversation about putting over rated lines on rods and I sent this story in response. Get's me tickled everytime I think about the guy putting on that clinic back in the early 80's at our SE Conclave.

...I understand your delimma on the rod. I once had a Lews that I changed the line on and afterward thought I was a casting pro!
    It's an old Lew's fly rod that has the Fugi ceramic guides from the big stripping guide all the way down to the tip top. Years ago at one of the casting clinics at a southern conclave I had it loaded with 7wt long belly line that was slightly a cross between a shooting taper and a weight forward line ( kind of like the Lee wulff Triangle Taper). The guy putting on the casting clinic asked me (I was 13 at the time) if I knew how to cast. I think my reply was well let's see....

He looked at my rod and said what ya got there? I told him a Lews "schwacker"! With a big grin on my face. He said a what???? Again I said, " a Lews Schwacker!" He said I don't think I have ever seen a fly rod with ceramic guides on it. Why do you call it a "Schwacker"? I told him that was the sound it makes when I cast it. Again he said..."What?"

Mumbling to myself I thought man this guy doesn't know squat. I stripped off about all the line on the reel. Almost 80 feet at the time with 4 or 5 feet of backing on the ground, took two or three false casts of about 20 feet and then let it rip. When it came up off the ground and slapped the rod blank it went "Schwwwwwaaaaack!" and 80' feet of line was laying across the field. I turned and said... See? It's a Schwacker!

He said Son of a Bi#$%....Let me see that thing! Needless to say I still have the Schwacker but rarely ever use it. Had my fingers slapped one too many times!
    ~~~waders~~~

Wade;
    Maybe this summer you can introduce Warren and I to the "Schwacker"!!
    God willing and if the creek don't rise I'll be in Tullahoma Saturday!!

Blog Entries

Wade totally funny, I'd love to see that swaaaccckkk myself. Maybe wear metal gauntlet as in the knights of old. Thanks for the story.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Awesome...13 y/o

Ok, ok This does it!! Waders, Gnu Bee Flyer, and Ducksterman. We have to do a Fish-In togather. Warrenp is just up the road and I'll have room for 6!

Early '80's SE Conclaves???

As I remember, the South Eastern Council wasn't formed until about 1990, with the first FFF - SEC Conclave in 1991, in Atlanta. The next SEC Conclaves were in Haynes City, FL- 1992; Ashville, NC - 1993; and New Olreans, LA -1994.

Prior to that time we all headed to Mountain Home, Arkansas for the FFF - Southern Council Conclave. Actually, a bunch of us still head to Mt. Home every October.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Default I beg to differ

I beg to differ!!!!!!!
    The FFF chapter of The Tennessee Valley Fly Fishers Held a south Eastern Mini Warm Water Conclave at the Joe Wheeler State park from 1984 to 1989. It was shortly after this when the Salt Water/Warm Water conclaves began to appear south of here. Here is a pic of the pins from 1987 and 1989 I lost the 1988 pin on a hat that blew off in the river that had a smallmouth on it. The South Eastern Councils first conclave was in 1991. 1st conclave pin also pictured. DON'T GET ME STARTED. I have probably attended more conclaves than you have then again maybe not! Sorry I can't stand being accused of Lying.

1987 & 1989 Mini Conclave Pins

1991 SE Conclave Pin 1st year.

+ Reply to Thread