+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loomis Stream Dance Presentation?

Default Loomis Stream Dance Presentation?

Hi
    I am looking to add a new 3 wt and a friend recommended this rod. I remember a "wiggle Test" about a year ago and it seemed nice. Anyone have any experience with the rod. Thanks. Dave

Dave,
    I have a Loomis Streamdance Metolius Presentation, 8' 3 wt. I bought it primarily for trout or panfish, but have landed bass up to 2 lbs. with it. Very nice rod, medium action. Close in action to my 8' 4 wt. Winston WT, perhaps slightly faster. I use an SA Mastery Trout series WF line on it and have been quite happy with it. However, when I purchased the line, it had been placed on the spool backward, so of course I ended up with it backward on my reel. That is, with the running line tied to the leader. The first time I tried fishing with it, I was lucky to get out a 30 ft. cast, and with no accuracy at all. Being pretty disgusted, I took it back to the store and got a refund on the rod. I tried the GLX version with the same results. I finally took a look at the line and realized what I had done. Once switched around, either rod cast like a dream. I went back and picked up the original rod and have used it happily ever since.

Larry

3. Default

Dave,

I purchased a 3WT 8'8" G Loomis Stream Dance GLX Presentation this winter. Haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but have been "land" casting it. I would say it's on the slow side of med-fast, which works well for me. May not be the rod for you if you prefer the ultra-fast action of alot of the rods today.

The REC recoil guides are a nice touch - practically bullet proof, and the overall construction and finish of the rod is top-notch.

I lined mine with RIO Selective Trout fly line, and it seems to match well. I would also recommend you pay attention to reel weight when choosing a reel to match it -- something in the 3 - 4 ounce range. The rod is very light, and easy to overweight on the butt end.

Wish I had some on-water experience to share with you - soon, hopefully.

Good luck with your decision,

mAngler

Thanks for the input
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread