+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 down - a few more to go ....

Default 1 down - a few more to go ....

well - ok, not quite done - still have epoxy to toss on.

It didn't turn out just quite as horrendous as I thought.

Was going to post this up the other day (Wed) - but ...... I had to re-do a thing or 2

As the guide wraps combined with the rod color had a sort-of royal(ish) coloring, I figgured the braiding would add that little extra. Used small fly tying gold braid, it's - ok, but won't do that again. The danged stuff breaks too easily, can't get enough tension on it to prevent slippage.

Here's the most welcomed reel-seat turned by my partner in madness

Had some epoxy from work. It should be mixed by weight (100-27), but with no scale and just the good ole Mk-I eyeball. A little below standards for hardness (3 pts) - but the torsion test between grip and reel seat didn't budge it any.

Ah well - it is what it is and nothing more. Although the 3ys old is already laying claim to it.

Seein as it's rocking in at a balmy 4 deg C I's thinkin maybe I should scare the neighbors and go for some of them lawn-fish

darrell,

Very nice job for #1. Welcome to the "addiction." You'll never be the same from this day on.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default 1 down

Darrell, Looks good for the first. Take the next step and join the dark side-Bamboo

OK, Here's a real newbie question from a 2-rod newbie (ME). Is the reel seat mounted incorrectly, or is this a down locking reel sea configurationt? I have only built two rods, both with UL reelseats.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Re: 1 down

thanks guys ....

Quote Originally Posted by clyde holmes
    Take the next step and join the dark side-Bamboo
    Clyde - the graphite is actually a lead-in to my bamboo forays .... I figgured graphite is more forgiving to learning re-do's than bamboo would be. While I gather my tidbits, I'm completing my plane form (wood) and looking at a PMQ next.

My only question is ........ can a person have too many rods ?

darrell,

Darrel that is quite a nice job for your first rod. Well done from the pics! Boy now you will only want to build more as time goes on. I can tell from your comments that you have learned a bit about thread work on butt wraps. Looks like a good effort there. I always enjoy adding a butt wrap to my rods, for it seems to give the rod a personality. Enjoy!

David
    Flies, Rod & Reel Service
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Looks really nice darrell. Wish my first rod had turned out that nice! If I could add a little suggestion it would be to do the ferrule wrap closer to the end of the blank. As close as possible. Other than that the rod looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    OK, Here's a real newbie question from a 2-rod newbie (ME). Is the reel seat mounted incorrectly, or is this a down locking reel sea configurationt? I have only built two rods, both with UL reelseats.

Joe
    Joe - as I was informed - it was/is a u/l reel seat (and the only ones I have). However, me being me - and the rod balancing great in this set-up - I chose this route. In my dumb-farmer mode : 'It holds da reel, so it does da job ...'.

Thanks for the kind words guys. M S - point noted.

darrell,

Default first rod

Darrell, Too many rods Go too Clarks board. Them guys on there have the corner on rods. Look at all the sticks a golfer has. The only hold up is " she who must be obeyed" My 2 cents, Boo is easier to build/refinsh than graphite. Ill probably get stoned

I'm over at Clarks once in a while. A local here pointed me that-a-way. But yeah, I get the feeling they nearly have the market cornered when it comes to bamboo and fine rods - and rods - and more rods - and ......
    It's not yet a problem with 'she that must be obeyed' ...... then again, 'she' doesn't really pay much attention to the hardware I pick up bit by bit

A few more culms and I think I'll be set for 5yrs (20 rods or so)

darrell,
    'Every body must get stoned .....' once in a while

+ Reply to Thread