+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Tubes

Default Float Tubes

Howdy,
    I'm looking at getting a float tube for the first time and want to know what you can scrap up for information on which one or ones are the best for the buck.
    I've been looking at the TU models, they seem to look the best but what about performance and durability.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Do a search here, you will find several threads on this topic and then some.

P.S. Welcome to one of the most addictive sights going!
    ------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 07 June 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

Maximus;
    I posted the same question about 3 weeks ago and had my tube (from Ohiotuber) on the 1st of June!! It's been a little too windy for me to give it a try.
    Mine is a Wood River Stealthrider SE. Unfortunatly they are out of Business!! But a member posted another company producing almost the same thing.
    Some things to look for.
    The entire cover is heavy duty not just the bottom.
    It has an adjustable seat, you don't want to feel like you're sliding out of it.
    Get a good PFD.

------------------
    Cactus

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 07 June 2005).]

Maximus:

You get what you pay for with float tubes.

If money is no object then I could refer you to a guy in the UK that makes what is probably the best tube out there. It is almost identical to the late great Wood River V-boat, 100% - 1000 denier Codura with 4 super tough air bladders for safety, adjustable seat and built one at a time by the maker.

It will set you back twice or more the price of other float tubes out there so if you aren't prepared to spend $$$ you should check out the more common choices. I have a Wood River Gliderider and I wouldn't trade it for any float tube out there but the TU boats don't seem too bad to me.

I've got a TU Pontoon Boat and love it. Handles me, a trolling motor, a battery and all my gear with no problems.

It's just a little big when transporting it, but I'll accept that tradeoff.

The super fat cat by Outcast runs about $370. It is a great tube. I have had a few tubes and this one is the fastest. (If there is such a thing as fast for a float tube). The pockets are great and big. Not crazy about the apron though. It needs to be a little more far foward.
    The $370 is a high price and it is a great float tube.
    Bob

Maximus:
    Hello: I have two Woodriver V-boats and they were the best. I have had one for 6 years and it is still going strong. My next tube will be the Outcast super fat cat. I just bought one for my nephew for his birthday and is the best one on the market now. It appears to be very well made (even if it is made in China) and is very easy to move through the water. A very nice tube to fish from. It has a great design and has alot of storage space.

Lanny

Something I posted a while back...

"Just one quick word of advice....Always wear a life jacket...Had a friend that almost drown when his (older style) belly boat blew out 200 yards from shore with no life jacket and wearing a pair of waders...Not a fun swim. Just some safety advice. Have fun with it. It will add a whole new dimension to your fishing."

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

[This message has been edited by Fishnfool (edited 08 June 2005).]

Apachetrout,
    The Outcast Super Fat Cat looks really nice.
    Thanks for the info.
    I probably wind up with one soon.
    What about rod carring straps for extra gear?
    Rob

Maximus: I have an outcast fish cat 4, the cheaper version of the super fat cat. Its a great float tube, and for the price, I can buy 3 of the more expensive, heavier tubes that others have talked about here. I like to park and hike the tube, so light weight is important to me. It is quite durable, floats me at about 225 pounds very well, is comfortable. I can't see any need to spend more for a float tube.

+ Reply to Thread