+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling GPS coordinates to great fishin???

Default Selling GPS coordinates to great fishin???

I just ran into information about a shop that will sell GPS coordinates to the prime fishing spots on rivers.

This just does not fit my definition of what should be going on in flyfishing.

No more human contact, No more searching on your own, No more conversations with friends and new friends in bars and resteraunts.

I am speechless.

Most flyshops I have been to have maps of the rivers with the famous spots marked or they will tell you where they are. The GPS is just another ruffle - or is it riffle. GPS isn't very useful on a stream anyway - the stream always follows the map - or vice versa. You may agree with them giving away that info or not - it's just the way it is. Now selling it - that's a little extreme.

Normand Guest

I'm waiting for them to paint exposed rocks in and around the honey holes with fluorescent orange paint so I dont need to buy a GPS unit!

Norm,,, sorry for the edit. Requested by another earlier poster.

Unfortunately it is close to the hunting preserves that let you pick your birds and then put 5 of them in front of you to shoot.

Not the way I think it should be done, but if there is a market someone will fill it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z
    Unfortunately it is close to the hunting preserves that let you pick your birs and then put5 tyhem in front of you to shoot.

Not the way I think it should be done, but if there is a market someone will fill it.

Rick
    Got some stories about that, Rick...but I guess that's for another bulletin board.

This GPS thing...there's a pretty well run lake down here [So. CA...OR. would never do this]...that lists their honey holes by GPS..maybe not to bad a thing since their goal is just to have a lot of people catch their limits.

Reminds me a little of when we would mark our hook ups with some sort of float and establish a pattern to troll.

There's a guy here in NE Ohio who produced a CD of the local rivers with GPS coordinates of the hot spots. He put them in the local fly shops at $25 each on consignment, and nobody is willing to pay for this information. Besides, our rivers change yearly because of spring flooding, and today's deep cut may be filled in with silt and gravel with the next flood. We have no choice but to be always seeking out how the rivers are changing. Personally, I don't see them as a threat to our fishery, because the best spots usually require a walk of up to 40 minutes from the public access point, and most folks won't go more than 1/4 mile from their cars.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

There is NOTHING whatsoever wrong with this. It's just the next level of technological application. The legendary Chuck Tryon wrote a book a few years back called, "101 Missouri Smallmouth Adventures." It comes with detailed mapes, directions on where to park, who to take to for trespass rights, public accesses, and so forth in addition to a written overview of the stream broken into beats that includes recommendations for how to fish each one and what time of year.

Chuck sells those books...as do hundreds of outdoor writers from all over the world who have been doing so for hundreds of years.

So, tell me, do you just prefer killing a lot of trees? Because that's the only difference with people selling GPS coordinates: they can do it without paper and for less money (if they want to).

Blog Entries

Hmmm I've got a GIS shapefile of all 1850-odd lakes, ponds, beaver ponds, and frog ponds on my district. UTMs in the attributes table. Could turn it into a google earth layer with this handy kml writer...

Best offer? (I need a new ATV, a couple gigs of memory for the puter, and a flat screen, so bidding starts at 8K).

Good grief, whatever happened to LEARNING in this sport? We gotta have things given to us on a silver platter?

Default GPS

What would Izack Walton have thought of polarized sunglasses?
    Would he have considered them an unfair/unsporting advantage over the quarry we're after?
    It does seem a bit off key at first thought.
    Progress happens, this is just another way of saying
    "...and turn at the big sycamore then go south for 50 yards and then youll see the hole Im talkin' about".
    'Cept the guy is charging you for the scoop.
    Gotta work with the "yea" sayers here.
    It will get you closer.
    So will a guide.
    Neither one is going to put the fish on for you.
    "You can lead the horse to water..."
    and you can sure point the angler

+ Reply to Thread