+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: might be heading to Georgia next week

Default might be heading to Georgia next week

Looks like I might be making a road trip to Ga...Atlanta specifically... next Thursday. Of course it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to have a fly rod or three and a pair of waders along. Any of you Ga. folks, or Tn, or NC for that matter, willing to at least point a yankee fly fisher in the direction of fish? I'd love to get in a day of fishing before heading back home to Indiana where all the water is under about 8" of ice right now. I'd also enjoy getting to fish with one or two of you, but of course that will depend on your schedules and such. Get back to me here, or by e-mail if you have any ideas or proposals.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Atlanta's favorite Trout Stream is the Chatahoochee River. Lower end is full of stockers DNA dumped two truckloads between Xmas and New year on a Catch and Release section 41 and Paces Ferry Rd. Recent rain makes the river turbid and difficult to fish. Go to [url=http://www.northgeorgiatrout.com:21ead]www.northgeorgiatrout.com[/url:21ead] for more information. Love to fish with ya but am tied up.

Satchel,

You have the Chattahoochee River that goes right through the middle of Atlanta that has a lot of trout in it. It is a tailwater and they have a Delayed Harvest section that has been fishing very well this year. Only problem can be if we have had any rain, the river muddies up pretty well. I will be out of town next week so I can not offer to go fish with you and show you around but I would suggest going over to [url=http://www.ngto.org:45d46]www.ngto.org[/url:45d46] and posting a message on the board there. You may find many that will step forward to show you the ropes.

Grizzz

That delayed harvest section of the hooch is less than a mile north of my office. I would not set foot in that water because I am well aware of the issues with water quality this far down. It is not worth the health risk. It's the stuff that you can not see or smell that will get you. The water up near Buford Dam and upstream of the nasty tributaries carry effluent from the chicken processing plants, the north Fulton County PTO outfalls, and urban runoff is much cleaner.

I am a native, multigenerational Georgian. I have fished extensively here and around the world. The trout fishing here is nothing to crow about. NC has streams that are much more fertile and are better than here. The Nanahala, Davidson, Tuckesegee, but I am not sure about there seasons.

Striper fishing on Lake Lanier might be an interesting challenge. It is that time of year.

Danged Satchel,

Just a few more weeks and I'd be twisting your arm to come fish some of these
    feisty red eared sunfish. The weather is
    still pretty borderline for them and the
    lake is still in the winter drawdown. I
    hope you find some action. If all else
    fails, stop by and we'll drink some beer and
    tie dremel bugs. Warm regards, Jim

Jim I hear you. I did catch a couple of real nice 'Gills last Friday...through the ice. Still working on Nov. by the way. Will know more after April when we have Clouser here. Will keep you informed.

As for this trip I might be better off to stop on the way down and fish in NC or the Smokies??? is that what I'm hearing??

I'll keep checking this post for a few days, and then might have to head another direction with it.

Thanks for the input so far.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

First I need to defend the Chattahoochee - yes they do post warnings about E-Coli counts now and then but the water is clean to support trout from 9" to 20" in the delayed harvest area - the only problem is that rain does muddy up the river and requires a few days to clear up. On a good day there are dozens of FF at any of the entry posts - showers are predicted for Sun and Mon so the water may be okay by Thursday - as for areas outside of Atlanta - there is the Amicoloa - delayed harvest which clears up fast - Dukes creek a special area boasting 20" CR -barbless - reservations required, or Smith's creek both near Helen Ga about 90 miles north of Atlanta, then theres the Chatooga and Toccoa - give me a call at 404 927-7318 -runner NGTO -check out the NGTO WEB page - I bet there is a member that is willing to show you some Great fishing areas.

If in Tenn look towards the Clinch

Mike

Hi
    Contact the Fish Hawk shop In Atlanta they will help you out. Friends fly- fish the Soque river in northern Georgia, and the hooch in Atlanta is very good.

Tightlines
    Mark Sokolowski [url=http://www.fishingpoleguidinginc.com:0812e]www.fishingpoleguidinginc.com[/url:0812e]

I'm with Jim. If it were a bit later, I'd try to get you down here in the swamps to chase crappie and big, angry redbreasts. As far as trout, you might try fightingtown creek in Blue Ridge. Strictly C&R, and I think you might have to stay at their lodge, but there are some nice fish. I second the Toccoa, also in Blue Ridge. I always catch at least small stockers there, and I'm sure an experienced trout fisherman could find some nice ones. And North east of Atlanta, in Tennesse, is the Hiawassi. My Dad and Brother fish this often. Every winter there are 1 or 2 huge browns caught.
    I don't have the online info for these places at hand, but I think you could get the info you need via a google search. Hiawassi info is found on the TVA sight, I think.
    Hope that helps,
    Swamp

If you are driving, the Hiwassee river will be wadeable as TVA is going to be running one generator for a while. Should be some very good fishing below the powerhouse. Area has a 14 inch minimum on browns and the rainbows have been eating shad for some time now and many look like little footballs. Look for Reliance, Tn HWY 30 on your map off of 411.

RoyC

+ Reply to Thread