+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin holder

Default Bobbin holder

Has anyone ever come across a bobbin hanger that doesn't eat up 1'- 2' of thread every time you go to use it. I Hate! the one that came with my Dyna King vice.
    hcmiller (Bud)

hcmiller:

I dont know what type you have but the one that came with my [url=http://renzetti.com/home.php?cat=305:18064]Renzetti[/url:18064] is adjustable both on the vise stem and its position in relation to the hook eye.

I keep mine about 1/2" or less from the hook eye and it works just fine for me.

rite but swing it around and the thread length changes

Well I never have that problem because I ONLY use the bobbin cradle when I am using the rotary feature.

When tying in materials, etc my bobbin hangs below the hook, in the way, like it always did BEFORE I went rotary. Swinging any bobbin cradle will cause your thread to "extend" longer than you want.

I suggest that IF you like to use the bobbin cradle all the time that you investigate an automatic bobbin like the [url=http://www.ekichbobbin.com/:e83e5]Ekich[/url:e83e5].

HC,

I'm with you on the vise stem mounted cadles, they are mounted in the wrong place.

In A.K. Best's book, Production Fy Tying, he shows an example of a bobbin cradle that solves this problem.

The 'key' is a cradle that pivots directly under the the eye of the hook. Then, when you 'swing' it to one side, the thread length stays the same.

I built mine from an old vise clamp, a piece of doweling, and some wire. Since you can make your own, you get to decide how far away from the hook eye the cradle is.

I wouldn't try to tie without mine.

Check out the book, if you haven't got it. Lots of great information on tools and bench set up that you'll not see elsewhere.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,
    You know exactly what I'm talking about !!!!! I'm going to go to my book store and check it out. Thanks

That's the beauty of automatic bobbins. With them (either Ekitch or Nor) it "don't make no never mind" where the bobbin hanger is positioned. They'll spoil you for regular bobbins.

Will

A.K. also says you can use a tall and heavy glass or mug for a cradle and hang your bobbin in it. When your not using it put it somewhere out of the way......or fill it with what it was really meant for. If you fill it with the right beverage it will make your flies look better.
    Joe

Joe, you mean if I drink more & more & more & mo..........my flies will look as good as AK's

Buddy,
    That's exactly what I want. I'm going to put it together this week. A.K. Best's book, "Production Fly Tying" page 8 if anyone else cares to see what were talking about.

+ Reply to Thread