+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Flies for Pickeral

Default What Flies for Pickeral

I am planning a trip for Pickeral, but I am not sure what flies I will need.

Perhaps just smaller versions of Pike flies? Something totally different? If it matters, I will be fishing on the Eastern Shore of Maryland later this month.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

They hit anything that swims.

Can use pike flies, bass flies, trout streamers, top water, subsurface you name it.

I haven't found any flies that were too big or too small.

I find red and white are good colors to use. A bit of flash can't hurt either

Find a weed line and throw something that swims along it and hold on.
    Your hooks sharp????

Hi All;
    I know that red and white combinations are supposed to be good for pickeral but, I have yet to catch one with it! Or anything for that matter! Every pickeral I've ever caught has been on a yellow or chartreuse pattern/lure! It's funny, I rarely catch pickeral when I'm trying to, normally a bonus when targeting Bass/Sunfish!

Wayneb

my go-to pickerel flies are bendbacks in grey/white,yellow/white and chartreuse/white.Clousers in the same colors work well also.An all yellow Clouser with gold flash is a killer.I prefer the bendback for the ponds over here because of the grass and pads.Gurglers are good for topwater but not this time of year.It also helps to tie some of these flies with synthetics as pickerel will shread bucktail in no time.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I use to fish Urieville Lake near Chestertown Maryland many years ago and the absolute killer for pickerel was a red and white Daredevil spoon. It out fished other spoons and even live bait. This was before my fly fishing became really serious. I would stick with a red and white color and lots of flash for my fly. Then I would go with a short jerky retrieve. Here in SC I've picked up several pickerel on large Gurgle Pops when fishing for other species. BTW, after a sometimes spectacular strike, their fight often leaves a lot to be desired,

I've heard that Pickeral key in on long narrow minnow imitations ratehr than shorter, fatter ones.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/tooth_and_nail/

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/a ... maker.html

These patterns scaled down in size are great Pickerel Flies. Another is tied similar to a small SeaDucer but with an epoxy underlay. Lay Down a layer of thread, coat with five min epoxy and add a synthetic tail of doll hair or other fibers. Use stringy yarn similar to this shown in this link http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitti ... 47,00.html

And palmer it on for the front part of the fly.. Sort of like a wooley bugger over epoxy. Tie off the head and add more epoxy. Let dry and it's an easy tie, danged near indestructible and the fish love it. I've tied this from size 4 to size 2/0 for everyhing from Pickerel to Tarpon. Best color combos I've found are Red and Yellow, Red and White and All White.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Chuck,
    I have a question about the Widow Maker. Wouldn't the fly orient itself in the water with the hook on top? Seems the dumbbell eyes would cause that to happen. If in fact, it does ride with the hook up, wouldn't the lighter material serve better if tied on last? I thought most fish had lighter colored bellies?
    Maybe I missed something in the construction,after all , I'm a real neophyte at this fly tying, and have much to learn.

Default Re: What Flies for Pickeral

What about leader material? Do any of you guys have a problem with your leaders getting cut?

Default Re: What Flies for Pickeral

I find minnow and deer hair bug pattern work great, White with plenty of Pearlesant flash is deadly..Crayfish pattern's are also a good producer...The spinnered minner fly in the archives here is a fantastic fly for all that swims as well..great for toothy critters.
    Hope you have a great trip!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread