+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Eye Hooks

Default Straight Eye Hooks

Alright, so I went to the local flyshop to get some materials this weekend to tie Barr's Web wing caddis. First couldn't find web wing, so I will have to order that. Second, bought some size 12 dry fly hooks but didn't realize until I got home that they were straight eyes (fortunately that is what the pattern called for...but it was purely an accident).

My question is what does the straight eye do differently than a down-turned eye? Thanks.

I did the same thing not too long ago. I've just been bending the eye down a bit before I tie with them. Doesn't seem to be problematic.

Default hooks

If you dont mind, I'm going to piggy-back that question and also ask, why are upturned hooks common for salmon patterns? What do they do different?

Midge Man - A great question. The responses should prove interesting. Here is a link to a pattern for Barr's Web Wing Caddis. Note the hook they use.

Tim

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... arentID=99

Default straight eye hooks

I always figured straight eye hooks have a wider gap, and therefore offer a bit more hooking success. Just my thoughts.

I will take a stab.

This will apply only while stripping, but a turned down eye will keep the nose down and the tail up while a turned up eye will keep the nose up and the tail down. This would also depend on how the tippet is tied to the eye as to whether this principle would work.
    Steve

Thanks for posting the link to Charlie's webpage. Hadn't thought of looking there. It is interesting to note that Charlie has included a step that is not in the magazine's description which proved troubling. You have to taper the front of the winging material in order to tie it in. That makes much more sense.

I prefer straight eye hooks for dries because I find it easier to keep materials from gumming up the eye while I'm tying. Unless you are tying something like an elk hair caddis, which has material extending out over the hook eye, this works well. The debate over up, down or straight eyes will go on forever but on a size 12 dry fly I don't think the issue amounts to a hill of beans.

Default Re: Straight Eye Hooks

nnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by Bugsy; 04-06-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks for the info folks.

+ Reply to Thread