+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finishing wraps

Default finishing wraps

I just finished building a Batson rx7 and the flex coating overlapping on the blank left a lot to be desired. it was pretty wavy. Has anybody tried wrapping the blank with masking tape and finishing up to it. so you leave a straight line when you are done. thanks for any feedback

I have tried the masking tape with poor results. The epoxy clings to the tape edges and makes a mess when the tape is removed.

I have had better success using a thin plastic card (like a butter tub lid or old credit card) Cut it into thin strips that match the desired width of the wrap and use it like a small spatula to apply the finish. This provides more control over the width of the coating than I can get with a paint brush.

Also, use as little finish as possible! It is easy to add more finish if needed but is a hassle to remove any if you apply too much...

Assuming you have the rod on a turner, after applying the flex coat, steady your hand (I balance mine on my other hand) and hold your thumb nail at the edge of, and at a slight angle to, the thread wrap, just touching the rod. As the rod makes an even revolution, the wayward epoxy will scrape to your fingernail. All gone!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I have not tried it...but I've heard the plumbers teflon tape works well and is easy to remove (as long as you do it before the coating as dried)
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

The masking tape method does work but the secret to it is in removing the tape almost immediately after the epoxy has been applied to the rod. If you wait until it starts to set up...major mess

I like Betty's method better though, takes a steady hand but the results are aesthetically appealing

I have not mastered the smooth line thing either, but that doesn't matter for fish catching. I have found that it helps if you will build a hand support to help steady your hand. Just figure out at what height your hand needs support and cut and glue a couple of scrap 2X4's together or use a shoe box or a couple of phone books or whatever you have

Blog Entries

I've also heard of using a piece of thread to get a good straight finish line after applying.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

The edge of a spatula. Use the main surface of the spatula to apply the bulk of the finish. When you get near the end of the wrap, turn your spatula sideways and keep the bubble of epoxy toward the wrap, the edge of the spatula will draw a perfectly straight line as the blank turns on the dryer.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Matt I use the method, but with scotch tape.

IT works good but where the tape overlaps itself it makes a space push it down with your fingernail really good. Also remove the tape no more than 15 or so minutes after finish is aplied

thanks for all the replies... i think next time i will try each section of the rod a different way tell i find one that works good for me.

+ Reply to Thread