+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortland 444 classic sylk lines?

Default Cortland 444 classic sylk lines?

I'm sure that someone has tryed Cortland 444 classic sylk fly line for their Boo rods. Opinions is what I'm looking for before I buy a spool of DT 5wt. I have read that it is thiner and is not as stiff as regular DT fly line. Thanks for the help. Later.

I bought the courtland sylk line for the elkhorn bamboo rod based on the product review by JC I read here on FAOL and the review is right on the money
    Monty

Thank you Monty. I value your opinion.

I'll spare you the grisly details, but I had a bad experience with 4 and 5 DT Sylk lines in the first year of production. I am told they have improved since then.

I followed JC's advice and bought one for my cane. It worked so well I now have another for my #6 hex. The review was dead on.

I have one mn my Jerry drake 7'6" 4 wt. I have the DT4 and I love it. pure and simple, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jordan,,,, PLEASE,,, tell us about the improvements. What was wrong? What did they do to 'improve' or 'fix' whatever was wrong? When did they do it? How can we tell the 'good' ones on the shelf from the 'poor' ones? Who exactly told you this? They are a sponsor here and I can't get them to tell me. Thank you for letting us all know that the first ones were poor. I have no idea how I did a review of them and didn't notice whatever it was; getting sloppy maybe. I was sure mine were some of the first ones. Maybe from a special batch for testers?

There has been a lot written about the 444 Sylk's on the Classic Fly Rod Forum at http://p205.ezboard.com/Fishing-Bamb...gbambooflyrods, just follow the link and do a SEARCH.

I've been fishing various wt's for three years now, and have had no complaints. The line is smaller in diameter than standard fly lines which makes them ideal on some of my older rods with small guides. They are very supple and fish well in cold weather, although I've heard that they become sticky in very warm conditions; I haven't experienced that problem. Tip sink has been noted as a problem, and I have experienced that, however I'm not sure that the problem is all the lines fault. Because the tip section is so light, I think that the mono and floro leaders are causing the tip to sink. I just dress the butt section of my leaders, and don't seem to have a problem.

The tip section on the DT lines is longer than on a conventional DT line, and I have found that I can improve the turnover of the leader/tippet by cutting the tip section back a bit.

Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

+ Reply to Thread