+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carp on a fly?

It's namekagon's picture.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default releasing carp

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    It's against the law to release carp after you catch them in Ga. and I think TN. THey must be killed and disposed of. This also applies to Gar.

Personally, I eat carp and have many great recipes. No reason to waste a valuable resource (but then again, I've started fishing for Snake-Heads here in Ga. as well. Believe it or not, they are great broiled!).

With a side dish of starling?

I just wanted to fix a broken link from an earlier post by someone else.

Here is the Carp fishing link for Ian James' site.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/carp.html

After you read that, take your time to read the rest of the site. It's quite funny. I learned everything I know about carp fishing from this guy.

I live on the Thames River...a sewer flowing through London Ontario !! OOPS...did I say that? Yes the river has it's problems BUT the river covers nearly 300K in length and has a lot of carp fishing opportunities as well as just about any other warm water species. Just don't wet wade!! I love about 500m from it so fish it almost daily. I love going for carp when the opportunity presents itself.
    Regardless what some folks think of these fish, they have been here LONGER than the brown trout everyone loves to chase.

I remember when I was young, the old men who caught them used to throw them on the bank. It disgusted me then as it does now. So now you know, I release my carp catch and with as much care as I would any sports fish. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This fish is FUN and it's a great teacher for the fly angler, as carp are a whole lot harder to catch than those cute little trout. I've learned a lot about stealth, presentation and rod handling from these golden ghosts.

The photo of those carp on the surface would have had me scrambling. If that is a area where they get fed bread and popcorn, I would have used a Usual or light colored caddis. If you couldn't see or guess what they were after, a midge (emerger) is a good pattern to try. Cotton wood seed (white fluff or the Usual again. Carp take many of the same things that trout do. I most often get them on a #14 or #16 PT flashback midge, a#8 or 10 Muncher or Puke Fly, or #6 crayfish. In the early spring I occationally get them on Zonkers along a seam next to fast water and they hit it hard just like a trout. My best day so far was 13 carp landed in 3 hours. I gave up due to darkness and PAIN. I couldn't fish the next day. I felt like I fell off a horse. I learned my lesson and usually quit after four or five now...but remember I said "when the opportunity presents itself". That means the fish has to be in the mood to catch them and you need to know the signs. If I don't see that, I just keep walking and go for the other fishes.

Thames River Ontario Carp on a 9ft 5wt DTF /#16 Flashback PT Midge.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

They are probably one of my favorite species to fish for on a fly rod. OkieBass got me started on them and I can't quite. I look for tailers because they are the easiest to catch and will hit most trout nymph patterns but can be very picky. Be careful, flyfishing for carp can be very addictive!

Blog Entries

Default Re: releasing carp

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    It's against the law to release carp after you catch them in Ga. and I think TN. THey must be killed and disposed of. This also applies to Gar.

Personally, I eat carp and have many great recipes. No reason to waste a valuable resource (but then again, I've started fishing for Snake-Heads here in Ga. as well. Believe it or not, they are great broiled!).
    I've never read anything in the annual releases of Tennessee's fishing laws that prohibits releasing carp &/or gar. I've been reading them for about 30 years.

Ed

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Carp

I'm not sure about TN, but in Ga., it is illegal to release a carp, with the expection of the Grass Carp (White Amur), which is stocked to control vegitation. They are sterile. They must be immedeatly released.

Default Re: Carp

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    I'm not sure about TN, but in Ga., it is illegal to release a carp, with the expection of the Grass Carp (White Amur), which is stocked to control vegitation. They are sterile. They must be immedeatly released.
    Yeah, those asians and bigheads were supposed to be sterile too.

OOPS>...

Okie and Poke,
    Long time, no see. Okie got me started too and now, they're my favorite fly rod fish. Nothing compares to carp on the fly. Okie, Poke and I used to meet on an "unnamed" carp honey hole and sight fish for them. A natural gas on 3 wts up to say, 10 lbs, eh guys? Let's get together and do it again sometime.
    Robert

Could you possibly post where you can read those regs regarding the common carp and gar. I spent the last hour reading the Georgia fishing regs, but I couldn't find any reference to a law that says you can't release them. I did find the reg about you MUST release Grass Carp, so I know I'm not totally blind.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread