+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spey Rods

Default Spey Rods

I am interested in opinions about Spey rods. I am thinking about surf casting and wanting that extra power to get the distance in the wind. I am also wondering how a two handed rod would work in a kayak. Can you land fish and is it manageble for changing flies etc.

I've heard about people who use them and therefore like them. Any negative experiences would be good for me to hear too.

Thinking of a 9wt 14' 6pc. Elkhorn.

jed

I've heard the only problem is landing fish and this was confirmed when I saw a spey guy dragging a nice wild steelhead up on the rocks. It has to do with the length of the rod I'm told and that it becomes very difficult to get the fish in close enough without the possibility of the rod breaking while attempting to do so. I know others with actual experiences will be chiming in soon Jed !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default 2-Handed Surf Rods

I fish the mid-Atlantic surf with a 2-handed surf fly rod. I'm using an 8 wt 12.5'.

There is significant difference between 2-handed overhead fly casting rods and spey rods. The 2-handed versions are typically much faster with more backbone than a spey. The 2-handed rod cast is overhead and not a spey-type cast.

Casting and fishing the rod is great. However; landing is more of a challenge because of the rod length. I usually bring my fish into the wash and release while still in the water. Hasn't been too difficult with our Striped Bass population.

There are a number of manufacturers making excellent 2-handed surf fly rods these days. CND, TFO, Loomis, Aussie Flies...like everything else, it just depends upon how much you want to spend

Thanks SW. I was thinking of an overhead 2 handed rod, not a spey rod. Elkhorn actually has a 6 piece 9wt. which I was thinking of using mostly around here (Mass, Cpae Cod)for Stripers.

jed

+ Reply to Thread