+ Reply to Thread

Thread: something from another thread but off topic

Default something from another thread but off topic

In the thread about overweighting your line, there was mention of greater difficulty to roll cast if the action was to fast. My question is; how does action speed affect certain aspects of a cast? I hope this is not a to generalized question.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Default Roll casting

I'll defer to those with alot more experience than I, but as I understand it, the difficulty to roll cast with a "faster" rod is that there is no space nor weight to flex, or load, the rod. You are more or less creating a forward cast with no back cast, using the weight of the line (and the current of the stream) to create a flex in the rod, giving the line energy when moved in the opposite direction.

With a rod that flexes more, i.e. slower, you can create more energy with less space/weight. With a rod that flexes less, i.e. faster, the rod doesnt bend or load the line as easy, making it hard to generate any action when you bring the rod forward to create a cast.

Similarly, fast rods have a more difficult time making short casts for the same reason. You arent generating enough flex on them to get energy out. Conversly, they throw alot of line a great distance when you do get them loaded, for the obvious reason they are stiffer and create more energy under greater flex.

OK<that was my first attempt to answer something technical. Tear it up boys.

You either know what your talking about or a great BS'er!!! Either way sounded good enough for me.

Jeremy

For a faster rod that doesn't seem to roll cast well, their can be a solution. First when you bring the rod back for the roll cast, dip the tip off to the side further, it will provide more load. Also you can pair this with a haul. It takes practice and good timing, but so does casting the rod in the first place.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Very interesting theory on loading fast rods. I have two fast rods and actually roll cast them better than my mid flex rods. Maybe it's just me.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread