+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redington Wayfarer 3# 7'0" and other rod opinions

1. Default Redington Wayfarer 3# 7'0" and other rod opinions

still looking for a solid 3# rod that i can pack into the backcountry. i'm liking a rod in the 7'0" length with a med-fast action. i've tried a TFO 3# 4x 7'6" Profesional Series and liked it for it's crazy good accuracy, but had a time getting it to cast like that consistently. plus, it was too soft for my tastes. good rod, tho, if you're into medium actions. other than that, i haven't found anyone that has a 7-foot, 3# rod i can test. so, can anyone tell me what the Redington Wayfarer 7'0" 5x taper is? does it flex all the way to the cork or does it have a stiffer lower end and supple tip? i know i'm asking a lot from a 3#, but i have my likes. eh. how bout a Scott A2 7'6"? Echo 7'6"?

------------------
    take him fishing

Perfectloop,
    I have four 3 wt. rods, ranging from 6 feet in length to 8 feet. I won't have a chance to use my new G. Loomis Streamdance until tomorrow, so I don't know how it casts yet, but it feels pretty delicate and is probably no more than medium action. I tried the 7'6" 3 wt. Echo, and it is a beautiful rod, but it is also somewhat slow, with a very soft action. Probably the rod I use the most, and really like, is one you have probably seen touted on this site several times: the Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3piece 3 wt. This is a very inexpensive rod at about $50, but it casts very well, with a moderate to moderate-fast action. It is certainly not as well appointed as the other rods, but I have had a lot of pleasure using it on small streams for the last 6-7 years.
    Larry

3. Default

how far down the rod does that Cabela's bend? they didn't have one of those action diagrams for that rod on the website. thanks.

i may also start adding two-piece models, no longer than 7'0" to my list if that's what i have to do.

------------------
    take him fishing

[This message has been edited by perfectloop (edited 04 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread