+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip to Tennessee

Default Trip to Tennessee

Greetings all:

My family and I are planning on a trip to Tennessee this summer (mid-june). We will be staying in Pigeon Forge. I want to take a cousin-in-law fly fishing while we are there. I am looking for some recommendations regarding guides, locations, etc. Essentially any information you can provide about that area would be very helpful. Thanks.

Midge Man, I am working on my web site but you can still access it. I have some links on there that should help you. I am not associated with any of them other than being a very satisfied customer. Little River Outfitters is the best and they are only about a 30 minute ride over the mountain from Pigeon Forge. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

MM;
    I did a Google search yesterday for Tennessee Fly Fishing. A lot of the type of information you'r looking for.

MM;
    Another Google search to try. "Tennessee Brook Trout".

MM -

Take Bassman's advice and stop at "Little River Outfitters" first thing. They are located in Townsend on hwy 321. They have all the flies that you need for that area, and they will tell you what to use and how to use it. They can even provide you a guide if that's the way you want to go, or not.... no pressure. A really great group of folks.

My experience in that area..... there are lots of trout and if you're invisible you might get one to hit.
    Let us know how you do.
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

I was in Townsend last year and the Fly shop there is very nice. Great people. My suggestion is if you have not fished fast water and tight conditions is to get a guide. I didn't and I wish I had. I didn't catch a fish in the GSM park but it was sure a pretty place to fish. Very tight casting in some areas. Gatlinburg and PF have a river running through them that isn't as fast as the park. Well it very much slower...lol. I think you have to pay and extra $10 a day to fish it but I did see a couple of people in the river catching fish, which is more than I can say about my luck. The invisable statement if very true. Man that was some tough fishing. My best recommendation is to HIRE A GUIDE from the LRO. Then enjoy yourself.

Jim

Thanks all for your responses. I went to the Little River Outfitters webpage and they have a wonderful BB. Lots of information. Now I just have to find a webpage that will help me explain to my wife why I need to hire a guide to catch fish.... Any thoughts on that little issue?!?!?!

The response should be that you need a guide to enhance your knowledge of fly fishing in the Smoky Mountain area. This will also allow you to catch more fish and to be sure that you stay out of dangerous areas where you or others might get injured. She might even want to fish with you because the guide is excellent in fly fishing instruction and casting. Remind her that women are easier than men to teach casting and that women will do better than men at learning how to cast. Hey thats what my guide said. Your return trips will also be more enjoyable because you will know where to fish and how to fish the different water. My wife fell for this the first time but soon learned that I was right hiring a guide because she felt it was better for me to learn the water with a guide than try to wade in unfamilar water. I was also more grumpy if I didn't catch fish.

Jim

MM -

I personally think going the "guide" route is the best way as well, especially if you have not ever fished that area, or one like it. I have fished it and it's exactly like Jim635 stated, "some tough fishing."

I would venture to guess if you go without a guide the fishing will be a lot harder than convincing your wife you need one.

Here's a reason you can present to the "war department" while down on your knees: In June the place will be busy, and a guide will get you out of the "main stream" with everybody else. (No pun intended.)

Here's a thought; the first time I went down there we checked in Elkmount Campground. While I was checking in at the Ranger Station the lady behind the counter asked if I was here to do some fishing. I said I was, and she said if I caught a trout would I bring it back and show it to her because she hadn't seen one all spring. That's the truth. I don't know if she was kidding around or not, but I didn't show her any trout.

Good luck,
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

+ Reply to Thread