+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new rod?

Default A new rod?

A question in by email - and Castwell with the answer. Or maybe not. What would you advise?

I've been around the base of the mountain a few times, and over the top a couple of times, and speaking only from my limited experience, here's my opinion on JC's dilema. If you have the means to afford the new equipment, you should certainly not deprive yourself from at least trying out the new gear. How else are you going to know what enjoyment it may bring? If it doesn't turn out well, the old gear is still there, and there's always value in quality gear if you want to sell it and go back to the tried and true. Just don't get rid of the tried and true. They're old friends, and even if they're relegated to the den wall, there are still great memories attached. My .02, and probably worth just that much.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Of course he needs to buy a new rod and definitely a new reel before he dies.
    My God, I just bought 4 rods in the last month.
    Used on E-bay but new to me...also I kinda like used stuff. Not sure why but it's like in a way I have a idyllic connection to one of my fellows...which considering I didn't know the guy...is naivet? in the extreme.
    nam

I say buy a new rod, reel, backing, line, rod case, and if nothing else, P L E A S E treat yourself to some tippet material. After all these years you are worth it! Life is too short to fail to indulge ourselves once in awhile.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

There are so many variables...and we saw how assumptions aren't necessarily correct.
    Does this gentlemen care about casting?...does he just want to get the fly on or in the water?...is the use of an automatic reel really ingrained in him?...on and on...heck, he could do the Wal-Mart thing [but price doesn't seem to be a problem]...
    I know one thing ..at least think I do....a new modern fly line ,at least, would likely do wonders for his enjoyment .

I think JC wrote this article so that folks would come from all directions and help this man make up his mind...or confuse him more...

My .02 cents....I a believe that equipment makes a lot of difference in many things...whether it's carpentry,golf, tennis,fishing, baseball, etc., etc.

So I say go for it...you'll be glad you did

Now what to get...that's a real can of worms

I can relate to the gent in Alaska. I too have a very old set up that was my fathers. Probably dates to later 40's/early 50's. Shakespear rod and automatic reel. He taught me how to fly fish with this set up, then handed it down to me. It still casts and catchs fish with no problem and I dont have any inclination to get another one unless this one breaks. I did buy new outfit for my son, was on the economical side (abaout $150 for rod and reel) and he is tickled everytime he uses it. I agree that fish dont care what your using, how expensive it is, what it is made of etc..., the best part is catching an elusive fish with some line, feathers, dubbing, etc.. and having a fun time doing it. Sure it would be nice to boast of having a G-loomis, etc.. but for what reason? Use what is best for you at the time, if you NEED to upgrade, then by all means do so.

I am, in no way, qualified to make a recommendation, but, JC asked so here goes:

If he is located close to a good fly shop he could speak to them on how he fishes and what he fishes for and what he expects a rod and reel to do for him. Let them make a recommendation to him and then let him try out their recommendation. If he falls in love with it, then buy it. If he does not like it, he still has his other equipment to fall back to. He may really like his old equipment and that is good, but, if he has never tried any of the newer equipment, he will never know what he may be missing. As he gets on in age, he may need to try the newer lighter rods and reels which will give him more fishing enjoyment and less pain.

I just feel that he needs to try a new outfit and hopefully, he has a fly shop close to him that will set him up with an outfit and allow him to try it out. I know that I would love to have him as a customer if I owned a fly shop.

If he tries a new outfit and dislikes it, he can always upgrade his fly line, leader, tippet and maybe reel.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I sure miss the old rods. I remember old fiberglass rods and one old bamboo rod that we used when I was a kid. My father taught us how to cast with some kind of fiberglass rod. I remember an old yellow spinning rod with a Mitchel reel that was mine when I was young. I caught a lot of fish with that old yellow rod. I really miss those old rods.

I have no recommendations for the guy in Alaska. Just envy for he still has his old rod.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Kerry...Kerry!!
    It's obviously to me you need a used rod too...a fiberglass can be picked up on E-Bay for under $50.. it all depends.
    Don't reminisce but live it my good fellow.
    nam

That Alaska guy has a interesting problem. My opinion is for him to buy a medium priced outfit. He can always move up to a Ferrari later.
    I still have my first flyrod (65 Eagle Claw) that had a few different reels on it in it's life. The most memorable was a automatic reel that removed the word "BALANCE" from my outfit.
    If I would have kept using it I might have done serious psychological damage to my flyfishing.
    Alaska guy and I have something in common, and that is he has a cheap glass rod and he is about to transport himself into the future of graphite!
    This transition didn't set well with me because my first flyrod cost 12 bucks and these idiots at Orvis wanted 130 bucks, FOR A FISHING POLE???
    To this day I think that is why I don't snuggle up with my new fancy rods or give them pet names, I still have a chip on my shoulder.
    I envy you glass rod guys, I let myself go to the DARKSIDE!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.? - Rabindranath Tagore

"Get what you want now for tomorrow may never come."
    Jonezee

+ Reply to Thread