+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Flywater Reels

Default Ross Flywater Reels

Anyone have any opnions on these reels?
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I bought one on closeout($45)before they changed the style last year. It was 50% off. At that price is was a great deal. Kind of like buying the cheapest house in the best neighborhood. At a full price of $89, there may be some better options if you are willing to spend $10 more. For example, the Battenkill Barstock @ $98. Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

Excellent reels for the money. I have one. Essentially guts very similar to the old Gunnison series but in a cast aluminum frame. I also have Cimarrons and Gunnisons. I have never been disappointed by a Ross product. There are other good reels in the same price range as the Flywater, but I chose a Flywater when I needed another reels based on more the 12 years of trouble free experience with the Cimarron and Gunnison.

A friend bought a couple of the larger size Flywater reels, and though not recommended as saltwater reels, he has been using them for a year for local bonito, bonefish, mackerel, bay bass, and other smaller SW species.

4. Default

Ross is the epitomy (sp) of a great reel manufacturer. They have excellent cust. service, and treat outdoor professionals excellently. I have 2 Evolutions and a cimarron, and I absolutely love 'em.
    RMB

I've got Ross's Flystart reel - their cheapest as a backup. It's seems really well made and worth the price. I would not hesitate to recommend it and I'm sure the flycast is even slightly better.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo
    I bought one on closeout($45)before they changed the style last year. It was 50% off. At that price is was a great deal. Kind of like buying the cheapest house in the best neighborhood. At a full price of $89, there may be some better options if you are willing to spend $10 more. For example, the Battenkill Barstock @ $98. Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

Like Bakerloo, I got my Ross Flycaster 1 on closeout at Gander Mountain for $29.95 (Retail 59.95). It really is like buying the cheapest house in the best neighborhood, especially since it's just going on my 2wt with a 3wt line. Excellent value, and you can't go wrong with the Ross name.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

There was a pile of um on the counter at Cabela's last time I was there....cheap. I picked one up - took the spool off and looked inside...plastic gear - it just didnt suite me....I tried to justify the quality with the price ..... but couldn't

That "plastic gear" according to Ross is the same Delrin drag that is used on the more expensive Cimarron and the discontinued Gunnison. It appears cheap, but has proved to be very durable and reliable in 12 years of service with Ross reels for me, functioning better and outlasting the drags on several other reels that I have had over the last decade.

I got one at a closeout last fall for 30% off since they were changing the model design. It's super -- and has the nice Gunnison drag system, very precise 'ckick stop' settings. A sweet reel all around. I never pay over $100 for a reel.
    DANBOB

Kaboom1,

I have done a little research and this is what I have found out:

Ross makes three:

Flystart @$45

Flycast @$65

Flywater @ $99

Since they are still on their web page, I have assume they are not discontinued. They are all considered a wide arbor reel.

From what I read, I would say any of the above would make a really good reel for the money. The only thing I would be concerned with is the weight. They run from 5.2oz to 5.5oz and add to that the weight of the line. As a reference the Battenkill Barstock is around 3.9oz. To some, the weight will make no difference. I am just giving info I have found and have no connection with any company. Before I make any purchase, I have a habit of really doing a lot of research and comparing weights, material, etc.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread