+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer Advice

Default Printer Advice

I haven't owned a printer for a LONG time and I would like to know what PRINTER you guys think I should purchase?????
    I don't need a photo printer.
    Thank You!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

A couple of months ago I bought a Brother Laser printer, black & white only. Don't remember exactly what it cost but it was under a hundred. The cartridge that comes with it is touted as good for 1500 pages which should last me about 10 years (lol).
    Model is HL-2040 and got it from Staples. So far I really like it.

Tim

Doug,
    I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to this stuff...but here goes...

I don't go high end on this stuff but I do like function...

I am now satisfied with a Brother MFC 420CN...it is an all in one machine....maybe you don't want that but it allows me to copy pages from fly fishing[tying] magazines, books, etc....also just copy them or any documents...fax , scan all that stuff....plus photo print...I got it for less than $100...rebate....and there maybe newer models????...it takes up very little room....

It's not the fasted out there....but for my purposes works fine....I don't know right now for my needs and price point if I'd get anything else.

Go to www.epinions.com to try and get info on whatever you are thinking about....

On this side of the pond I am using a LEXMARK X1160 . It will print, scan and fax all for ?26 , I think that is about $45 in your money.
    No complaints at all .
    Brian

Blog Entries

I shopped for mine with ink cartridge costs in mind. I ended up with an HP that I can buy new ink in color and black for $30 compared to $70+ for the Lexmark that I just got rid of. The Hp also has the nozzles with the cartridge, so if one gets clogged up heavily, it goes out with the old cartridge. Since ink is my highest recurring cost, I didn't mind spending a bit more at the start. I still only spent $60-70 for the printer to start with.
    Remember that those "almost-free" printers are cheap because they will get their money back on ink.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

My ink cartridges are cheap , I use refills and have had no trouble. You get a lot for you money.
    Brian

Blog Entries

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to put down any particular brand. It seems that all the companies do something similar. Some cartridges are cheap, but if you get an absurdly inexpensive printer, chances are that your ink will be overpriced. My point was just to be sure to check your ink prices when you buy a printer. It might not be such a bargain.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I've gotten some things from these folks including ink ...no problems ...prices can really be good

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/

Buy cheap if you will use it only occaisionally. Ink jets are good values and should cost $50 or so. THen buy ink on Ebay. I bought a dozen cartridges for about $20. That is alot better than the oem pricing.

jed

Dshock............................................ ................
    When you get a general idea of what you want go to: http://www.refurbdepot.com/
    These refurbished units are usually WAAAAAY cheaper then the new ones, and come with the guarantees and all. If you don?t see what you want on that site check out the manufacturer?s site of the brand that you want. They might have refurbished unit for sale. I have never had any problems with a refurbished unit of anything. They are checked over better than the new units.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread