+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's that smell?

Default What's that smell?

Those that use fish attractants didn't get a lot of love in a previous thread.
    What do the purists think about fish finders and other electronics?
    Are they any more honourable than putting a little stink on your fly?

I'm someone who thinks the down fall of quality fishing started with the invention of the outboard motor, so I'll stand back on this one.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Here we go again.
    Your hooks sharp????

There is nothing wrong with using a flasher to learn the structure of a lake or river. As far as finding fish it won't due much good when you are primarily casting.
    Just remember to put a little WD40 on the transducer; I hear it attracts fish!

You guys ought to be ashamed of yourselves ...here FG wanted to get to page 20 and you go and start a new thread

Default Oh Boy

Duckster, you love to stir the pot don't ya. Well I'll tell ya I bought a jak and outfitted with everything but a foil . Toons, anchor trolley,rod holders,Gps/fishfinder and an extra hatch to put more #$%^ in. I think the fish finder can tell ya the bottom info, rocks, mud, weeds etc. Ya gotta be a fidget #ss to have all the toys and I am.

I spit on my flies and even cheated down at Kettle creek by putting a meal worm on a stonefly and knocked the snot out of them. No I didn't feel guilty case I caught my #2 son doing it by spying on him in the afternoon when He skunked me in the am.

I would think that as flys go you can't beat a natuaral fly tyed the old fashion way and the brown or golden of a lifetime wack it.

Down the road you might see some maverick company from overseas put scent in the thread material.

Have a great day, today we broke the freezing mark 35 for the 1st time in 20 something days.

The Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

"Down the road you might see some maverick company from overseas put scent in the thread material.
    "

Now there is an idea...I may go dunk a couple of spools

Oh, and my post above was in jest....should have used

Using anything other than a spear to catch fish is barbaric.

Default Re: What's that smell?

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    Those that use fish attractants didn't get a lot of love in a previous thread.
    What do the purists think about fish finders and other electronics?
    Are they any more honourable than putting a little stink on your fly?

I'm someone who thinks the down fall of quality fishing started with the invention of the outboard motor, so I'll stand back on this one.
    We highjacked...back to the question...

I see nothing wrong with mapping a body of water.

If you consider fishing the salt, you can get out of site of land and without electronics there is no way to know where you are, what the topography below you is, the temperature transitions not to mention looking for fish on a fish finder. I think your answer would have to be situational (if catching fish is part of the equation)

jed

If you are a fisherman Nerd, then electronics is AWESOME DUDE!
    On the ice, you can lower Remote Cameras down the holes and WATCH the perch bite your hook!
    On the BOAT, you can watch the Depth Finder in the bow (so you don't run aground) and you also have the option of looking at your expensive Graph above the steering wheel! SO WHAT!, That you only have eight hours to fish! It won't hurt you to watch FISH TV (Graph) for FOUR hrs. Pretend your on the National Geographic Show. Collect DATA!
    Just remember, even though other flyfishers are actually FISHING, you will be mapping with your GPS (so you don't get lost like your wife keeps complaining about)
    You will be doing a PUBLIC SERVICE and YOU paid for this stuff! You may as well USE IT!
    Years ago a fisherman saw my Depth Finder on the bow of my boat and declared "THAT'S NO FAIR!"
    I told him, "I HAVEN'T CAUGHT ANY FISH YET!"
    I would encourage you IF you don't really like flycasting that much, but you like Video Games, then the Video Graphs are the TICKET!
    Doug
    {}<><
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread