+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing at Night

Default Fishing at Night

Just got done fishing for the day and saw a couple guys on their way out as I was on my way in. Does anyone fish at night? How do you do that? I mean, I usually fish until I can't see the fly anymore. I used to fish for catfish with a flashlight in hand, but I'm clueless when it comes to dry fly fishing at night. Any help?

Letort,

Done it for SM and walleye ('cause it was legal ... check your regs).

Moon light !!

used headlamp to get strung up and out onto a beach.

Cast a while WITH the lamp. after a while, my eyes ajusted enough and my night vision settled in enough to fish in moon light.

It was PRODUCTIVE, but not really fun. (imho).

PS: Wear safety glasses !!

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ca1c2]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:ca1c2]
    Christopher Chin

Letort,

I fish at night for Largemouth. It helps if there's a full moon. It's a lot of fun!! Since it's very hard to see, you usually hear the strike and then feel it. I use a green headlamp from streamlight. [url=http://www.streamlight.com/grn_trident_info.htm:9f8a4]http://www.streamlight.com/grn_trident_info.htm[/url:9f8a4]

I fish Lake Taneycomo at night. I use a brinkman head lamp from Wal-Mart. It has two white leds and 1 red. I use the light to rig up and get into the water, I only do this if they are not generating. It is more of a fell the strike. I have a blast and wife sits on the bank where it is cool and bug free.
    BillMc

Dear Letort Run,

I've done some night fishing for trout. You really have to be familar with the stream you are fishing, otherwise wading can be an adventure.

Most serious night fishermen pre-rig a couple of big wetflies on a stout leader and enter a pool at the head and slowly walk down casting the flies towards the deeper water and strip retrieving them.

There used to be a ton of old time wet fly fishermen that fished at night in north Central PA, but I think a lot of them have passed on and I don't know if anyone else still does it.

My one buddy who died a few years back gave me a couple of huge size 2 wet flies rigged on a 1X catgut leader that he used to use for night fishing.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I used to camp and fish the North Fork of the White River below McNary, AZ.....35 yrs ago. Life took me away and now I am back trying to learn how to fly fish for trout. Ferget the time warp....the thing I want to mention was on evening back then, after dark, as I was sitting in the moonlight by the campfire....a young man came walking downstream past our camp. He had a rod and reel, and the old wicker type wooden creel on his hip with a strap over his shoulder. He said he was GOING fishing! I couldn't believe it....but a little while later he walked back thru with several nice trout in the creel! I had never seen that done before. I still don't know what he knew then, that I, and apparently nobody else knew how to do. I still don't know how he dood it.

Around here we get caddis hatches that start at 10pm and last until 2 or even 3am. Then at 3am if the time is right the stoneflies start to hatch, and that lasts till 10am or so. (anotherwords, we have stayed out ALL night a few times!!). We just take along a headlamp, food, and lots of big dries! Tons of fun! The whole world just goes silent at night too, and every now and then you'll hear an owl hooting or the yip of coyotes. Great experience, but you do need to know your river and the area you'll be wading VERY well. I wouldn't advise going without at least one friend.

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:b35bf]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:b35bf]

Absolutely!
    Especially where legal. Stripers, LM's, troutoids, carfish, whitebass, BG's, crappie are some of the stuff that it has been necessary to shine a flashlight on to see to hand.
    One thing we find VERY handy on a full line for night fishing is to put a small nail-knot of mono on your line (at about 35'-40') for an AUDITORY referrence spot. When we use shooting heads, we already have one.
    .....lee s.

9. Default

Nicely written Urses. Youve got me contemplating a trip.

Some of the heaviest hatches of certain flies here in PA occur after dark, and most people aren't there to see or fish to them -thankfully. You can have some splendid dry fly fishing after dark, in addition to the wet fly fishing already mentioned.

I now spend my summers in the northwest US, and as Bowcrow mentioned, there are rivers there where there are hatches throughout the night, or there are lots of recently dead, or dying flies, floating in the currents and eddys, that can make for some exciting fishing.

A couple years ago, a guy I sometimes fished with after dark caught and released a 35" brown on well known western river - and the fish and game warden was there to measure and take a picture of it for him. I knew there were really big fish in that river, but I never heard of another trout there that was quite that big.

John

[This message has been edited by John Rhoades (edited 05 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread