+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep track?

Default How do you keep track?

Now that my fly rod & reel collection has grown to exceed the number of toes on my left foot, I realize I'll never remember which reel or extra spool has which line. Is there an easy way to keep track of line weight, brand, WF or DT, and purchase date (age), other than a notebook which I'd never update, never carry with me, and probably would lose? How do you cope with this challenge, or am I the only one so "challenged?"

Checkout the Fly Reel Dots on the sponser page
    You're gonna find there's a lot of fans around here.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

one of the sponsers here sell reel stickers I believe they are called and that it the best way to keep track of all that

I don't think that will ever be a problem for me.

I fish small streams with dry flies with one rod and reel on one line (silk).

I'm too old to be remembering stuff.

Nail polish on the inside of the spool, use aceatone to remove it and relabel. Used the stickers that come with fly line, found they came off to easy

Default how do you keep track

OBG

all my lines but one are cortlandt and i mark them the way Joan Wulff taught me in her class. i use a sharpie marker to make rings around the line close to the leader. one wt - one ring -- 2wt two - rings and so on till 5 wt - one wide ring 6wt one wide ring and one narrow ring and so on. when i pick up a reel it is easy to see the number of rings and know what size the line is.

mike

Default Re: how do you keep track

Quote Originally Posted by grumps
    OBG

all my lines but one are cortlandt and i mark them the way Joan Wulff taught me in her class. i use a sharpie marker to make rings around the line close to the leader. one wt - one ring -- 2wt two - rings and so on till 5 wt - one wide ring 6wt one wide ring and one narrow ring and so on. when i pick up a reel it is easy to see the number of rings and know what size the line is.

mike
    Thats what I do

The magic marker technique mentioned above...plus

The stickers that come with the line have stayed on well for me...if not

I use a little piece of duct tape with the info written on it...

I've accumulated a pretty sizable collection of tackle over the years. I do a lot of different types of fishing. At some point I decided that the best thing for me was to put everything in an Excel speadsheet. For each reel, I indicate what line is on it and for non fly reels, when I last changed the line. Also stuff like when I last did an overhaul (important for saltwater reels).

I mark the fly lines themselves by making rings with a Sharpie marker as mentioned by grumps. You can also arrange the rings in such a way as indicate WF or DT.

Default Re: How do you keep track?

Quote Originally Posted by OldBaldGuy
    Now that my fly rod & reel collection has grown to exceed the number of toes on my left foot, I realize I'll never remember which reel or extra spool has which line. Is there an easy way to keep track of line weight, brand, WF or DT, and purchase date (age), other than a notebook which I'd never update, never carry with me, and probably would lose? How do you cope with this challenge, or am I the only one so "challenged?"
    Take off my other shoe?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Nate

+ Reply to Thread