+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Preserver Question

Default Color Preserver

Does anyone use Gudebrod NCP thread? Is it any different than actually putting color preserver over the thead?

rainbowchaser and PaGuy,

If the understated look is what the builder is after then leaving out the CP is obvious. I guess I should have stated that I. personally, like the look of the original thread colors, especially where fine banding is taking place.

I'm going to look for a couple of spools of NCP thread and see if I like that look. Anyone have any pics they can show using NCP threads?

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I was told many years ago not to use CP as it did not bond the threads to the rod as well as the straight epoxy. Common sense says that is likely true - the epoxy definitely makes a tighter bond.

However with that said there have been times I liked the look of the thread and wanted to preserve it. So I did. I have also kept and used those rods for many years. I have yet to have one go bad on me.

I have come to the conclusion that yes without color preserver the bond will last longer but even with color preserver the wraps will last longer than my lifetime!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Panfisher, I like your thinking. If you inspect your rod when cleaning it, any problems should be apparent and can be fixed easily. Unless you are in the business of building rods (which I'm not planning on getting into any time soon), I don't see it as being a problem. I plan on building rods to give away and for my personal use.

I checked further into this subject, and found that a couple of thinned coats of CP prior to the final epoxy coat should provide good adhesion. Obviously, multi layers of thread would be a different story, but for single layer work I don't see a problem.

I'm still going to look for a couple of spools of NCP to try out.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    rainbowchaser and PaGuy,

If the understated look is what the builder is after then leaving out the CP is obvious. I guess I should have stated that I. personally, like the look of the original thread colors, especially where fine banding is taking place.

Joe
    Joe what I was saying is I peronaly never used the stuff, because I like the look of no cp finished wraps.
    But if you want cp thats alright, Its your rod made to suite your taste, thats why we all like custom rod building.
    That said I dont think cp will affect your wraps negitivly, and if you used cp the finish will work like you didnt use cp. I believe this because I just took off a guide on a rod that I didnt use CP on, the finish never soak all the way down to the blank, It just makes a coating over the thread.

Default Color Preserver

I have restored/rebuilt/refinished a number of older bamboo rods, some of which are more than 50 years old and some which used color preserver. To date I have not yet seen a wrap failure that I could attribute to CP.
    I have used CP, or not, based on what I wanted the wraps to look like, and never found bonding to be an issue. I have used the water based CP's and Aerogloss lacquer. They both work but look different. Usually I like the Aerogloss based on looks.
    I thin all CP quite a bit for the first few coats and apply it w/ a dubbing needle. I apply it sparingly and work it INTO the thread. Penetration is the key if you don't want blotchy results. Two or three coats, thinned and another one or two full strength, does take a bit of time, but it takes a LOT less time than stripping it down and wrapping it again because of a bad CP job.
    AgMD

+ Reply to Thread