+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Surgeons Knot for Flies?

Default Double Surgeons Knot for Flies?

I really hate tying an improved clinch knot for flies. It seems i'm tying more than i'm fishing.

Before you say it's easy for you. I'm as blind as a bat.

I read in a book called "Brown Trout Fly Fishing" by Chris Francis that he ties all his flies on with a double surgeons knot. It puts the fly in the loop. It's really easy for me to tie, and 10 times faster than a clinch knot. He also claims it gives the fly better action too.

Any of you do this, or have an opinion about it? I'm loving it if it has no drawbacks.

I don't like a loop for dry flies,,, and that about all I fish.

Me too.Could you tell me why you don't like a loop?

The fly doesn't 'cock.'

Did you say a bad word?

Watch out! JC will get ya.

lol,,, well, I'll be darned. It is a classical English/Brittish term. C0ck. As sitting correctly on the water.

Default Have you tried the Weaver knot?

Gramps,

I don't know if you've tried the Weaver knot:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...versknot2.html

I started fly fishing just as I entered into the tri-focal glasses phase of life. I started out using the clinch knot since I could tie it in the dark and as fast as trying to work a small swivel with my old spinning lures. I quickly found that working with 6x and 7x tippet and #18, #20, and smaller flies made the clinch knot much more challenging--requiring magnifiers and a good feel in your fingertips. For the life of me I was at my wit's end since I'd watch all these folks try several different flies over a short period of time when it was taking me several minutes just to tie on one. Finally, after fishing down at Taneycomo with Phil Lilley as as guide, I watched in amazement as he tied on new midges in less time than it takes to read this sentence. I knew that practiced skill had to be a part of it but I also knew that his knot was just easier to tie....So I went on a search. The Weaver knot linked above was the result and I really like it. It is one of the many gems I've pulled from this site--Thanks JC and LadyFisher. I practiced it until I could tie it without looking. It's the knot I tie most, now. I actually tied on new flies last week in 35 degree F temps with my fingerless gloves on. The tying motions are very similar to the motions needed to tie the double surgeon but the weaver's I think is more versatile IMHO.

BW

Brad, I think you just added 10 years to my fly fishing career by showing me that Weaver's knot. Thank you. I hope someone does something nice for YOU today.

--Rog

At risk of sounding like it's the only tool I own, GET A TY-RITE. It'll make ANY tippet to fly knot a snap to tie ( PERIOD)

Mark

That's the only knot I've used for the past 10 years or so, only I use a tripple, a great part of this knot is the tag end has excellent breaking strength, I leave it long for droppers! It's also so easy it can be tied in the dark. JC, it's not a open loop knot the fly is snug to the knot.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread