+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what glue to use for poppers?

Default what glue to use for poppers?

I was in Bass Pro Shop the other day and, among other things, picked up a little WAPSI Perfect Popper kit - hard foam popper bodies, hooks, and a little instruction sheet. The directions say to glue the body in place on the hook, but don't list any specific products. Just super-glue or epoxy.

Sounds easy enough, but looking through the different glues available at both my local Wal-Mart and a local hobby shop showed that most "super glue" specifically says Not for use on foam. So, what *should* I use?

Nathan

i use the original super glue, which seems to work fine on all materials. I have used it on foam even though i make basswood poppers. The glue most recommended for poppers though is probably zap a gap. Just make sue you don't touch the glue that is on the popper. The super glue i use can be found at wally world and is in a red and yellow container. If your going to try this the glue is cheaper if you can find it at a dollar store or a place like Big Lots.

Take Care
    WWFF

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    i use the original super glue, which seems to work fine on all materials. I have used it on foam even though i make basswood poppers. The glue most recommended for poppers though is probably zap a gap. Just make sue you don't touch the glue that is on the popper. The super glue i use can be found at wally world and is in a red and yellow container. If your going to try this the glue is cheaper if you can find it at a dollar store or a place like Big Lots.

Take Care
    WWFF
    I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens - at worst, the glue eats the foam and I'm out a fly. Not a big deal.

Just for curiosity's sake, what do you use as your source for wood popper bodies, dowels?

Nathan

I have used those in the past and used epoxy. It seemed to work fine and filled the void in the crack where the hook goes.

indeed i do use some dowels, shape them with a dremel tool, drill a small hole through them, paint them, and tie on feathers. it takes awhile but its fun

WWFF

I get the dowels, glue, craft paint, and renegade aberdeen hooks all from wally world. guess i should call it the wally world popper. Its a very cheap tie and overall it looks pretty good

I use the soft foam popper bodies or work them out of foam cylinders. I use 5 minute epoxy. It gives you enough working time to make adjustments to the way the body sits on the hook. And once it sets up that popper body isn't going to come loose. In the past I've had bodies attached with super glue come loose or twist on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly
    I use the soft foam popper bodies or work them out of foam cylinders. I use 5 minute epoxy. It gives you enough working time to make adjustments to the way the body sits on the hook. And once it sets up that popper body isn't going to come loose. In the past I've had bodies attached with super glue come loose or twist on me.

what do you use to paint the poppers? Some of those look pretty elaborate.

Nate

NTB,

I'll jump in and add a 'second' for using epoxy to attach the 'hard' foam bodies to the hook.

I've not had good luck with using CA adhesives ('super' glues) for such an application.

The epoxies fill the voids better and seem to make the fly more durable.

CAs work well with the soft stuff, like flip flop foam, foam sheeting, etc..

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I do it a littled differently. Most of the time I run a darning needle through the foam.
    I have wrapped the shank with thread. I then put a little zap-a-gap on the thread near the eye and then push the foam onto the shank using the channel made by the darning needle.
    For larger hooks, I use a 1/64 inch bit in a dremel tool to make the channel.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread