+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you resist?

$ 25.00 your cheap
    Your hooks sharp????

We went through this in a differant form last week with a cast that was always headed left at the end. This is an absolute, the line will follow the path of the rod. if you tail your loop the tip of the rod droped below the starting point and ending point of your stroke. A good stroke is slightly convex. the more convex the cast is the biger the loop and a concave cast will always tail the loop. it is not generaly caused by to much power but power applied to early in the stroke. This is from Gearge Cook the Sage Rep. " wear a long billed cap and never apply the power untill the rod is past the bill." It works try it.

Rich

I don't feel as though i'm applying power anywhere. I try and keep it smooth from the beginning of the back stroke to the end of the stroke, and the same on the forward stroke. It's the sudden stop at each end that gives the power.

here goes my thesis, the rod is at it's shorts "net" length at the full back and front ends of the cast. that is the rod is at full flex and the length from the hand to the tip is the shortest. as the rod travels from back to front it lengthens as it unflexes then shortens again as flex builds to the front stop point. the tip of the rod will always trace an arc that is convex. now if the hand stays exactly on plane, that arc always stays on top of the imaginary line of where you hands starts and stops from back to front. now if you hands waiver up or down or side to side the arc of the tip is still always convex but the tip may dip below the line. so what i'm trying to say is the statement about the concave tip path is bohus, can't happen.

It is not Bogas it is Fact! The only thing that causes a tailing loop is for the tip of the rod to fall below the start and stop point of your stroke.

Rich

rizeye, RW here,

Did you stop to think it might not be the cast but the rod? It's possible that the dynamic moduli of various rods you use are different with the changes in cross sectional geometry. Tweaking the taper might be in order. Perhaps the square cross section presents special fabrication challenges.

To quote les young, "It's possible the stochastic manifistations of the entropic deterministic properties of the 2nd law of thermodynamics might be relevant."

Just a thought.

RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I believe a concave path of the tip can happen (it just takes the kind of skills I possess). If a rod is stopped abruptly on the backcast, the unloading of the rod will cause it to follow a convex (or slightly dome shaped) path. If the rod is not stopped abruptly on the backcast, the arcing (or backwards drift) of the rod tip while it is unloading may cause the rod tip to follow a slightly convex path. And because the backcast is the same as the forward cast, one must assume that weak stops and/or drift on the forward cast may cause the same convex path on the forward stroke. If I make it to the Michigan Fish-in, I'll be prepared to demonstrate for a small fee.

Bill Webster

Hey RW while it is true some rod are easier to tail than others you can't buy a rod that will fix a casters problem.

When I was teaching casting classes I would demo a tailing loop very simply by hiting the rod early and stoping high in front list will exzagerate the tail if you try you can make every cast tail or not by adding power to the stroke in differant places in the stroke.

This might help. a proper cast accelerates up to the stop (by the #'s 12345 stop. a cast that is not proper and will tail would look like this 12554 stop.
    this cast will tail every time. so will 15555 stop

Rich

+ Reply to Thread