+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NORTH UMPQUA RIVER, OREGON

Doug, these otters were BORN to attack..it's how they make their living...! I've never been attacked by one though so I think they think that since I'm usually in the water when they see me, I'm kindred..which in a way I am but I practice C&R !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I watched a family of river otters harassing crocs in the amazon river. I wouldn't want those BIG otters after me!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

How big were they Doug? Croc hunting otters...wow !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

During the program, they showed the Crocs and the River Otters and I thought the Otters were going to be afraid of the Crocs, but it was the other way around.
    The Amazon River Otters are the biggest in the world and they ganged up on the Croc. They are much faster and are the most dominant animal in the river.
    They have brown coats with white chests. The Otters also have big families.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

:shock: That's the kind I saw here that time !!!!

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Oops...emoticon disabled... :)) Just kidding about the otters too. They are big though...really big...biggest I've ever seen.

Hey all,

I don't mean to crash the party but the header caught my attention. I'm coming out for the first time to fish Oregon. My buddy has an uncle that lives in Eugene so that will be base camp. We're due first week in June and we'll be there about 9 days. If any of you have any experience with that area (or a few hours radius)any information you would be willing to part with would be appreciated. I was loaned a couple books:

Oregon Blue Ribbon Flyfishing..Shewey

Fishing in oregon..Sheehan

Tons of info but almost overwhelming...

What kind of conditions might we expect? weather? runoff? anything like that. We'd love to float/wade a couple of the bigger rivers and i'd really like to get up in the mountains and fish some smaller waters...i've never caught a cutthroat. hiking/camping is also not out of the question.

We're also open to a guided trip for a day, maybe two.

Again, flying blind so any input would be helpful...feel free to pm if you wish. I'm also going to try Westfly but i thought i'd try here first.

Thanks....
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

Hello brookid. A bunch of ff'ers all around Eugene. I'm just an hour and a bit away. The water I know how to get to and that I've fished is mostly east of I-5. By June the rivers and streams could be in great shape. What rods are you bringing and what kind of fishing vehicle will you be driving if I might ask?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

P.S. It can rain
    in June here, but
    it's usually pretty
    warm.

For as long as I've lived in Oregon I've only fished the McKenzie once before I actually moved there. If you are going to be in Eugene I would think you have to fish the McKenzie.

Moose,

His uncle is setting us up with a vehicle...i understand a 4WD truck. The guy is from what i understand, uumm, rather wealthy. He's also got a Hyde trailered up for us if need be.

I have experience on the oars floating some of the bigger Michigan rivers...Oregon, i don't want to get in over my head so we'll proceed with caution.

I'm planning on bring an array of rods...more than likely 6'6 4wt (small mountain stream) 8'6 4wt, 8'6 5wt, 9' 6wt and if need be 9' 7/8wt...

I see there is a fly shop in Eugene, may lean on them abit, maybe a guide trip through them? His uncle isn't much of a fisherman...just collects the toys, so i'm not sure how much local knowledge he'll have.

Ducks, the Mckenzie is on the short list...
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

+ Reply to Thread