+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick ferrule question

Default Quick ferrule question

If the ferrule is just a little loose, can you wrap thread around the bamboo to snug the fit up? Had a heck of a time getting the ferruls off to begin with, and am guessing in the cleaning out of the old epoxy that there's a little room left over now. Will that just fill up with the new epoxy? And hold?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, someone posted doing just that in a thread I had going about a 'click' I was getting when casting.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default ferrule

Betty, I had an old Monty that had some fine cracks in ferrule. I used a needle, worked some JB weld in it then wrapped over it when set. Seems to work fine. Sometimes its too much of a step from blank up on too ferrule. I guess try it, I wouldnt seal the wraps untill I saw if it worked all right and tightned it. Come on Leo!

Betty, how loose is it? I have seen the thread wrap used but it certainly isn't the best way to do that kind of repair. When I fit ferrules to a rod, I like them to be snug fitting so there is little trouble with the concentricity. On a lot of the older rods however, I have found more loose fitting ferrules than what I like and in some of those cases I have replace the ferrules, especially if they were a little worn and loose fitting in the mating of the ferrules.

I have loaded them with epoxy and reset them but to do that you really need a lathe with a chuck in the tail stock so that you can get perfect alignment of the ferrule to the bamboo, or you will get a ferrule that is not properly aligned with the boo and one heck of a crooked rod.

My only fear of wrapping with the thread to fill the void is the adhesion or lack of it between the thread and the bamboo. would the Epoxy penetrate the thread enough to prevent it from coming off?

Not sure how loose is loose, but did you try wax?

jed

There's no side to side wiggle, just not snug up at the shoulder (it will turn around if rotated). Guess I'll give the epoxy a whirl, and if it doesn't hold tight, I'll just replace the ferrule.
    Jed, it's the ferrule fitting over the end of the blank. Wish it was that easy!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

For that problem, I did a wrap of thread and tried the ferrule. If it was still loose I did anothe wrap. It worked very nicely for me. They I used epoxy to hold it all together.

jed

Fantastic! Gunna go with the Weld-bond/thread (spiral up the end)/epoxy ! That ought to keep me off the streets for a while!!

+ Reply to Thread