+ Reply to Thread

Thread: telkwa stone (dry)

Default telkwa stone (dry)

I really like this pattern but I'm having a hard time with it any advice on how to make this style of body would be appreciated.

Personally, I'd use foam.

troutstalker,I like that pattern also. I'll play around later and see if I can figure it out.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

WoW!
    What a great looking fly.

If i had to take a guess i'd say the body was made by using the needle formed extention technique.

Basically, you make the body on a sewing needle, then remove it from the needle, lash it to the hook, add the biots to the head (the rear biots were added while the body was on the needle), then lash the wing EHC style.

Not all that difficult to do, but a real bear to explain w/out pictures.

If you can buy, beg, borrow, "The Fly Tier's Benchside reference" by Leeson and Schollmeyer
    look in chapt. 10 p.217. All will be made plain.

Sorry I can't fully answer this question in this post

Best,
    Black Gnat

That looks like a Madam X body to me.

Basically just folded deer hair.

Not hard to do.

Tie in the antennae biots on either side on top of the eye.

Tie the hair just behind the eye by the butts.

Pull the deer hair to the rear and secure it to the hook shank with wide spirals of thread back to the bend. You want the hair to cover the sides and bottom of the shank.

Tie in the tail biots on either side of the shank.

Make one tight securing wrap over the hair, then fold it toward the eye, leaving the 'extended' portion hanging over the bend (useing the tips of your scissors or the point of a bodkin to fold the hair over makes it easy to get a nice fold that's in just the right place).

Wrap behind the bend to secure the extended section.

Tie down the body to the shank in wide spirals, making the classic 'X' pattern.

On the pictured fly, they cut the deer hair and tied on a 'new' bunch for the wing. You can do it that way if you find it easier, or your hair is too short to use one whole bunch for the fly.

If you have enough hair left, just fold it back and tie down as a wing. Pulling some of the hair down to the sides before tying it down gives the impression of legs.

Nice, fast, high floating, durable fly.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

It's likely elk hair.

buddy, I do believe you are correct. Looks like it was tied "Madame X" style.

Best, Black Gnat

Try tying the hair in by the tips near the bend with the deer hair going over the bend and extending off of the back. Then you can pull your thread off of the hook to where the rear end of the fly will be. Make a wrap or two and then pull all of the hair forward. Wind the wraps up the body and you're mostly done. Add biots and wing. These instructions are hard to explain, but let me know and I can try to explain better.

redacted,,,,,,
    Last edited by Bugsy; 04-06-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Success!! thanks for all the advice, I finally completted one I would actually fish. In the end I used iowaflyguys advice and tied the hair in by the tips near the bend, seems to work pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread