+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sticker decal

Blog Entries

You can order custom waterslide decals from Decal Connection if you prefer. They also offer metallic silver and gold lettering. $4/each or so.
    I also use Krylon Krystal Klear for fixing the color. I've also used it over gel pen ink to keep it from being dissolved by the rod finish. I had one brand of pen that would completely dissolve into the finish and then the finish would lift off of the rod. Clear coat fixed that issue.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

You can use pen and acrylic paint on the decal paper just as you would on the rod. Stay away from gel pens, etc. You might as well wrap a rag around a stick and use it . Inkjet printing on decal paper will only work on light colored blanks.

Practice...practice. Get out that pen and paint. Work on getting the right viscosity and practice writing "Custom Built by Monk", over and over.

RatherBFishin, I have been using a GEL PEN with fixative spray directly on the blank then coating with epoxy. Is GEL PEN going to be a problem later on? Why don't you use gel pens?

ksfisher - Paint pens are simply not fine enough to do the job satisfactorily. They also do not control the "flow" of paint well enough for detailed work. I suppose they are well intended for kids to write on their lunchboxes . I've seen rods completed with paint pens and find the appearance rather lacking. I wasn't joking when I said you might as well use a rag wrapped around a stick . I prefer the traditional quill pen with thinned acrylic paint. You can mix the paint to achieve any color or shade. Then again, I'm a perfectionist . That being said, I've been using Decal Connection for all my rod labeling needs since my drinking problem . My hands are not as steady as they once were . I'm sure LastChance will agree.

WOW! I didn't know you could do the waterslide decals with an inkjet printer!! That looks awesome! I'm kicking myself now because I just finished up my second rod a couple of days ago and the one thing I never like is my attempts at hand lettering. I have awful letting penmanship, which seems odd, because I CAN draw well.

I'm going to have to seriously look into the decal paper and designing my own labels. Thanks for the info.
    I'll post photos of my rods (minus the terrible lettering LOL)in a new thred.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Default Sticker Decal

Mato! RatherBFishin' has no drinking problem. I've seen him drink and I've never seen him miss his considerably large mouth. He has no problem carrying his flask nor drinking what's in it. LOL!

He's right on about the decals. They're very easy to apply. LOL!
    Have a good time -- EAT CAKE!

Don't say you weren't told! Inkjeting on decal paper will only work on light colored blanks, e.g., those glass blanks depicted above. Those of you who are infatuated with creating a "signature area" and can't write worth a lick, consider the Decal Connection.

Thanks for the info on the inkjet problem with the decals. If the decal paper was totally clear, I suppose I could trace the lettering with a crowtip pen but I'm betting I have no such luck with the CLEAR through part. LOL. The Decal Connection is looking better all of the time. I really need to get off my backside and get some labels made. My hand scratch is terrible. If I get that licked and I can feel like I can actually sell some of these things. LOL
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread