+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage Bamboo Help

Default Vintage Bamboo Help

Probably a "long shot" here but...stumbled across a bamboo rod in a flea market that has lots of age on it, possibly early 1900s. This is a 5 piece rod with 3 tips, and appears to be in pretty good condition except for the finish/varnish. All parts, components look original and all section seem pretty straight. The only markings are the words, "Golden State." Asking price is $50.00. Haven't been able to find out anything about this rod and was hoping someone might be familiar. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Crackleback

If you don't get an answer here. Try this.

http://p205.ezboard.com/The-Classic-Fly ... lyrodforum

Sounds like a deal to me Crackle but pictures would sure help.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Gramps and Montana, thanks for the replies and tip.
    Did check out the Clarksclassic rod formum and tons of good info there. Appreciate the link.
    Crackleback (Bob A)

Default Re: Vintage Bamboo Help

I answered this on our forum but thought others here would like to know the rod is a post WWII Japanese rod and not all that old. Regards.....

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleback
    Probably a "long shot" here but...stumbled across a bamboo rod in a flea market that has lots of age on it, possibly early 1900s. This is a 5 piece rod with 3 tips, and appears to be in pretty good condition except for the finish/varnish. All parts, components look original and all section seem pretty straight. The only markings are the words, "Golden State." Asking price is $50.00. Haven't been able to find out anything about this rod and was hoping someone might be familiar. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Crackleback

October, thanks again for your help. Looks like I was way off re: the age so assume that rod was fished hard and put away wet! So hard to tell at times.
    Regards,
    Crackleback

Oct. Woods,,, I want to thank you for your assistance on this BB. You are, and have been for a long time, indeed an asset.

Folks, no need to thank me for my input. I merely feel it is in the best interest of all, i.e. collectors, anglers, makers, both past and present, and those generally interested in vintage tackle to get the best possible truthful answer for their question. To do any less than that dishonors the history of this sport and does little to assist anyone.

There is nothing wrong with post WWII rods as long as you understand that is what you're getting as they have their own unique niche in the history of fly fishing, Japan and WW II so they cannot be ignored, it's just that if you are looking for a rod to fish they may not be your best first choice but as with any past time your mileage may vary. Regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Oct. Woods,,, I want to thank you for your assistance on this BB. You are, and have been for a long time, indeed an asset.

+ Reply to Thread