+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable fly tying box

Default Portable fly tying box

This idea may have already been round but I am new to the site and a greenhorn fly tier.
    I have been looking around for something to put all my stuff in (witch is not much) so it?s all in one place. I?ve tried many different boxes and bags with no luck.
    Then I came across a wooden Machinist tool box it is perfect for now, till I out grow it, but then I will use it for taking on trips (like the In-laws) or for when I?m stuck in the camper waiting for the rain to stop so I can hit the lake again.
    Harbor Freight has a nice one for $100. The front door folds down a makes a small but nice worktable that the vices fits just right. And because it looks nice the wife will let me keep it in the house. Lowe?s has one for $60. But it has no door that folds down.
    I have learned a lot from reading the bulletin board and thought I would put my two cents in.

BigTex,

Nice idea!! I don't have much in the way of tying materials as I only use a dozen or so different flies (friends tye most of my flies for Atlantics too ).

For trout, I put my stuff in a 3 deck Plano Spinning gear tackle box. This way I can organize hooks, thread and the little stuff (which is what I usually have to dig around for the most.)

When I open it up, all the Mustad boxes are in order. Hackles and long stuff goes into the bottom.

I think I'll look around for tool box though as the pull out drawers would be better for organizing materials.

My 0.02 $

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:f628c]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:f628c]
    Christopher Chin

There's always the homemade version.

dryflie I love wooden boxes---I also have a wood shop but I keep my travel equip in a Sears plastic tool box about the same size with two trays. Hooks,thread and tools in the top,chenille and other odd small items in the next and hackle,deer hair, vice and such in the bottom. Add a little two wheel luggage cart and I have all I need when traveling to shows.

------------------

Bill

+ Reply to Thread