+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Carolina fly fishing, Myrtle Beach area

Default South Carolina fly fishing, Myrtle Beach area

Hey guys, moved this over from the main board, hoping more saltwater guys will see it!

Please give me hope...a reason to pack the fly gear in the minivan!!! I'm visiting Myrtle Beach for the first week of April and would really appreciate any suggestions on where to do some fly fishing. No time (or $) for the big ticket guides, so i'm shore bound. I chased down a few tips from the local BPS down there last year,but they yielded nothing. As per last year, anything saltwater would be my first choice, but bass/sunfish would be a good back-up plan I suppose. Size of fish is not important, i'd bring gear to match whatever you guys/gals would suggest. I look forward to your responses...even lobbing dead shrimp into the surf with s_ _ _ _ing gear last year didn't work!! lol

If you've responded to my post already, thanks again! If you have anything to add, i'd be more than grateful. Thanks again guys,
    TZB
    Thank SO much for taking the time to respond!!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Bug,

I'm not a regular at Myrtle Beach but I do get there a couple of times each year at different times throughout the year. April is a little early but if you have no objection to smaller fish, you should have some fly fishing opportunity. Spot have moved into the surf and creeks at that time. Flounder and trout my also be available You will actually see some cane poles used by the spot fishermen but they wouldn't be fly rods . I stay up at the North end of North Myrtle beach in sight of the Cherry Grove fishing pier. That's the pier that the world record tiger shark was caught from----fifteen and a half feet. In the Cherry Grove area, you have good access to the Waccamaw River and the inland water way. Just pull in the parking lots of restaurants and businesses on Kings Highway and drive to the back area. Lots of good access to totally unfished waters. There is very nice park at the north end of Cherry Grove with lots of boardwalk space along the waterway---seldom crowded at that time of year. If you walk the beach up North, you also come to a major inlet to the waterway.

I know this is pretty sketchy, but you can definitely find plenty of water to fly fish. Without a guide (I never use one), you will have to explore with your car. There is plenty of water to fish so definitely bring your toys! 8T

+ Reply to Thread