+ Reply to Thread

Thread: U.S dates vs. Thiers?

Default U.S dates vs. Thiers?

When checking members B'days I was a little confused but then remembered that we put the month first then day and year. Other countries use day/month/year which makes perfectly good sense to me. Did the colonists do it for spite?

------------------
    Cactus

Jack,

... US is MM/DD/YYYY which makes sense 'cause that's the way we SAY it.

In french, it's DD/MM/YYYY for the same reason.

For us data management types, YYYY/MM/DD is more convenient 'cause when you sort a list, everything falls into place in chronological order.

I 'spose that's because everthing is "logical" when it is taken in context.(well, ... most things )

Tight lines. ...

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:06871]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:06871]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 04 June 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

You have to remember the Syntax (the way words are put together to form sentences, phrases,or clause) differs with the language spoken. French, Spanish, Italian are Roman Laugauges, governed by Latin Rules of Syntext. While English based lauguages are of German origin, where most of the time the syntext of the sentence is of Latin Rule, due to the Norman (Vikings that settled in France) influence into the Briton/Anglo-Saxon language (which was also influenced by the Romans occupation England).

In German Syntax, you would "Throw the Cow, over the Fence, some Hay!". While using Latin Syntext, you would say, "Throw some Hay, over the Fence, to the Cow!"

~ Parnelli

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 04 June 2005).]

So Steve, then why is it that the Germans and the Dutch also put the day before the month? 4 Mei, 1933 for example.

This is sorta like the use of the fork and knife. In Europe, polite society puts the fork in the left hand (where it hardly ever leaves) and the knife is held in the right hand (where it might leave if someone wants to sip his wine or take a bite of baguette).

Again, just simply different strokes for different folks.

How many of us are bi-measurement (metric vs. English system)?

What's this have to do with FFng? Simply this, Mr. Trout needs to know your country of origin before he/she takes your fly. Don't you think?

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

Silvertop2,

Bi-metric, ... Yup. I do air tempin celcius and water temp in fahrenheit. Weird eh ??

Then again, I mesure salmon in cm and pounds then trout in inches or pounds.(usually lbs ) ... although, I gues you could try to impress someone and say, "Hey, I caught 1500 gram trout this morning!"

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:92e1b]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:92e1b]

Christopher Chin

I guess I like the old american guessabout way.You know a 12" trout is about 2lbs. 16in.about6lbs.ect. .Its easer to keep track of and I don"t have to carrie a scale.Us mature fly guyes don't want to carrie to much stuff.

I have often wondered why, in the USA, the date is written MM/DD/YY. As far as I know everywhere else writes DD/MM/YY which looks more logical. No one has answered that question yet. Was it some civil servant or school teacher who started it. Maybe it was a judge and nobody wanted to be done for contempt, there have been some very self willed judges in the past.
    ps I decided 'self willed' was the safest adjective, you can never be sure who reads this BB.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland

[This message has been edited by Donald Nicolson (edited 05 June 2005).]
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald,

Early in our history and up until about WW2, we tended to say dates in this format..."Fourth of July, Nineteen Seventy-six." But somewhere about the middle of the last century, we began seeing a shift in the common usage of the language to..."July Fourth, Nineteen Seventy-six." Being the simpletons that we Yanks are, we write it like we tend to say it. Thus, 7/4/1976 has become the most common way to express dates in writing. We confuse easily.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

+ Reply to Thread