+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmering Marabou...

Default Palmering Marabou...

To go along with the post about blood quills, Has anyone tried palmering marabou feathers. I still have not found if tying it by the base or tip works better. Anyones feed back would help.

You need thin stems in the marabou feather to palmer it, thats why I was asking about the blood quills. If that means thin or thick stems, or if all marabou is called blood quills.

What if you use thick stems but split them some how?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I tie the marabou in by the tip to make a tail and then wrap the marabou feather around the thread and palmer it up the hook shank.
    Makes a nice leech pattern.

Rick

If you use a thread that you can split with your bodkin, put the marabou in the split thread, either after you have stripped of the quill, or put the herl on one side of the quill through the split thread, as much of the herl in length as you want, and trim it off the quill.
    Then spin your bobbin-holder and wind on as a hackle.

Another way is to get a very large Bulldog type paper clip, clamp it over the herl while it is still on the quill, trim off the quill, leaving the cut ends of the herl protuding from the Bulldog clip, the ends now go into the split thread, tighten up the thread and release the bulldog clip and then spin into a hackle.
    Sounds a bit complicated, but with a little practise, it's not difficult.
    Or! you can spend about $50.00 or so on that Swiss Magic Hackle Kit. Which really does the same thing.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Thanks for the advise, but using a loop or split thread doesn't seem to produce the same look as palmering. It's just tough to find a lot of marabou with thin enough stems.

Guess I should have just asked if there is a kind of marabou that have very thin stems or a company that sells marabou with a high amount of thin quills.

Thank you.

buy the tip as mentiond you can make a rope with the feather and thread if you have a rotary vice
    just wrap the feather around the thread a few turns

then hold the feather and thread and use the rotary to
    twist it then simply wrap it if you have to much feather left then just tie off and cut the remander
    kind of like you would do it your thread breaks .

If you look at Jack Gartside's web site he has some nice pictures of blood marabou. On several of his flies, particularly the soft hackled streamer and the Beastmaster, (and Beastmaster General) he describes how to tie in and wind the bloods including step by step pictures. Jack has been working with these feathers for quite a few years.

Thank you John, thats kinda what i was looking for. But what is the site? Can you post a link, or pm me the site address? Thank you muchly.

Sorry jackgartside.com is the web site. While the site doesn't seem to have lots of activity it has tons of info and is pretty cool. I hope you find it informative.

Very nice site, thanks for spreading the word about it. And thats exactly what I wanted, too. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread