+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly to Chile....but no flies

Default Fly to Chile....but no flies

All,

Just got off of the phone with Ben Hoffman from Frontier Travels who did confirm the following rumor floating around on the 'net:

If you are headed to Chile to fish, you will probably have your flies confiscated in Santiago. This is a knee-jerk reaction on the part of the Chilean government to the threat of Avian flu.

Those travelers who look like anglers (ie:carrying rod tubes) will be taken out of line, searched and have their flies confiscated. This is a new protection enacted without warning on February 1st.

Bad news, indeed.

Joseph

Blog Entries

I sent an order in to Cabelas 2 days ago and got an automatic warning That highlighted the CDC feathers I had ordered. The warning said "This is a restricted product. Do you with to remove this product and proceed with the rest of your order. I took out the feathers and the order was accepted.
    They were the only feathers in my order the rest was hooks and synthetics.

Ps I live in canada so it has to cross the US/Canadian border.

H&H accepted an order with the CDC and some other feathers in it later the same day.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee Flyer,

By law any wildlife products coming into Canada from the USA must get a Permit at a cost of $38.50 US, it appears that the Customs folks are getting real picky about this as there are more and more shops who are unwilling to deal with shipping things across the border.

Luckily for me and my shop there is nothing like that for things going from Canada to the USA, i guess it is just another example of our tax everything policy here.

BWO,

Another knee-jerk reaction by a government that has no scientific basis, it just panders to the fear mongers. I imagine that the amount of fishing trips to Chile are about to take a big nosedive.

Blog Entries

Jamie I sent you a PM that I think is quite important to You. Please check your messages ASAP.

Thanks, Roger

Thanks Roger,

I am aware of the warning generated by IE 7 but so far i have been unable to get Microsoft to co-operate.

Blog Entries

I understand you are a new Sponsor on FAOL , congratulations Jamie. Its nice to have a Canadian flyshop on here. Nice looking website

I just returned from 6 days of fishing in Patagonia, and the rumors about the feathers are definitely true. Although things are a little inconsistent at customs, they are confiscating flies tied with feathers pretty regularly, and it is best to leave them at home for now. Nobody knows when this crazy ban will end - none of it makes a darn bit of sense from a medical standpoint. Maybe some enterprising soul will set up a fly shop in the airport at Santiago...

Sparse

Definitely depressing news about fly confiscation. I'm leaving for Chile on Thursday and now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm thinking about putting the flies in my wifes luggage and having her go through customs way before me.

Apparently they return the flies when you depart. Any truth to this??

I don't think I've heard anything about flies being returned. It would be hard for them to organize that, with as big as the Santiago airport is. If you are fishing at a lodge, they will probably have flies there. An additional suggestion is hair-wing patterns without hackle. Not perfect, but I had some success with them.

Dennis

Where were you fishing in Chile? Which outfitter? ARe there any fly shops in Santiago or Coyhaqye?

I can probably take a bunch of copper johns, foam flies and hair type patterns but I hate begin limited.

This really pisses me off to the point that I'm wondering if it is even worth going now.

+ Reply to Thread