+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq

Default Iraq

When you are sitting around watching the news, please remember this letter. There is another side to this. This was written just before my middle son left for his second tour. He is joing his older brother who is all ready there.

Friends and Family,

As most of you know I am returning to Southwest Asia to support Operation Iraqi Freedom a second time. I have called as many of you as I could over the past week, I just didn?t get to call everyone. I want to thank you all for your support during the last deployment and leading up to this deployment.

Over the past few days I have been growing very excited about the opportunities in Iraq. The Iraqi People, with the help of Multi-National Forces have recently pulled off the unthinkable, the first real democratic elections in decades. It is very exciting for me to head over at this point in history and support the formation of a new democratic government. I knew that this was the goal we were working towards during my last trip, but it was still a distant goal, we couldn?t really get our minds around it at the time. The 1st Cavalry Division has spearheaded a tremendous effort over the past 10 months, with the help of thousands of other US, foreign and Iraqi soldiers, to get the Iraqi People to this election.

I really feel like things in Iraq have turned a corner and I am pumped up about helping out with Iraq?s next big challenge. As most of you know, I will probably be putting my education plans on hold for this trip to Iraq. There is nothing in the world that I see as a more appropriate reason for putting those plans on hold than the drafting of an Iraqi constitution and the roots of democracy in the Middle East.

Please remember that for ever service member killed in Iraq there was a school opened, power and running water to a new neighborhood or even 10 to 20 insurgents killed. I hope that when each of you watches the news from Iraq you focus on the high points, and the good news; please do not get wrapped around the negative points, they are not the full story.

Thank you all for your support, you are all in my prayers. I have to go get on a plane.

God Bless,

Capt. Morgan Dugan

tell him thank you and safe return to both of them!!

ditto...we just had one of our guys from work come back. He voiced the same.

Hey there Capt:
    First of all THANK YOU to your entire family for ALL your sacrifice. Some feel that when a loved one is in harms way, only HE or SHE is there. In fact, by way of concern and worry, his or her WHOLE family is there.
    PLease thank your sons for me (us) for their service to MY country.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

My heartfelt thanks to you for all you have sacrificed and all you have done and are about to do. Safe journey my young friend. The streams and trout shall be waiting to welcome you back.....Bob

Captain Dugan,
    This old VietNam vet Army Sgt SALUTES you!
    What a wonderful outlook!
    God Bless,
    Mike Flanagan
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Bald: God bless and protect your boys. (I have one in Iraq and another headed to Afghanistan in April. (3rd Inf and 82nd Airborne))

Keep us posted, particularly with the happy news when he gets home safe and sound.

You know I just read these posts and weep in grateful THANKS!

I grew up in the WWII era and really experienced [and felt] patriotism.... and honestly before 9/11 I felt that the current generations did not have it in them to exhibit that kind of patriotism.....WAS I EVER WRONG....our young folks have stepped up big time...and I salute them.

------------------
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once.

I will always support the troops, and buy them a free beer upon their return...

Parnelli

Platoon Sergeant Steven H. McGarthwaite
    U.S. Army, Retired
    (1968 - 1995)

Thanks, this is what we need to know.

You are all in my thoughts and I wish you the best.

Thank you so much for what you have done
    to advance freedom and protect us all.

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread